My typical OW class. The pool part anyway.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Diver0001 posted this in another thread. Rather than do a complete hijack I decided to start a new thread to answer his question. If any one wants to ask why I do what I do feel free. But what I HOPE you do is describe your typical class pool sessions. He posted:
Jim, how do you see the issue of drilling skills that the student gets right away? I've noticed that most people get maybe 80% of the skills/material naturally without a whole lot of drilling. For example, showing cramp removal or towing a tired diver I don't focus on a lot of repetitions to see if they understood it... just 2 or 3 times on different days of the course.

For some skills I do, for example, mask skills, air sharing, and buoyancy control, to pick a few examples, get huge amounts of repetition, for some students more than for others, depending on their needs/performance. These are what I see as "core" skills". Do you guys make a distinction between core skills and non-core skills and focus more energy on the core skills or do you see all skills as equally important and subject to equal amounts of repetition?

Also, do you tailor you approach to the needs of the student or do they all go through the same number of hours?

I'm asking to get a sense of why you take 16 hours in the water with students. The PADI system is more "performance based" and I've had students who were naturals and could probably have learned to dive without an instructor and people who have taken considerably longer than 16 hours to reach a level of comfort that both they and we were comfortable with (I think the record to date for our shop is a little over 30 hours--maybe a *lot* over 30 hours, with some people we stop keeping track...LOL)

I'm curious how you see this"

As I said the best way to answer this is to describe my typical class. I'll also note that I do tailor classes for students depending on their interests or the direction they THINK they may wish to go. Some know they want to look at critters, some want to see wrecks, and others just want to dive and relax. I am free to add material to meet these needs. But for the most part my class which is agency mandated to be 16 hours in the pool goes like this:

1st session- watermanship- swim 300 yds no MSF, 50 feet UW swim, 15 minute tread float. Introduction to snorkel gear. No mask breathing with snorkel. Then with mask. Mask clearing and snorkel clear. Mask remove and replace UW and clear. Next I introduce kicks. Scissors, back, dolphin, and frog. Note the back kick in this case is merely swimming on your back and very important is head position. tilt it back too far and you are sucking water through the snorkel!. I have them do 50 yds with each kick and offer advice and hands on correction. I may intro freedive skills here if they are not too cold and the class is small. ALSO note that during all of these skills and swims I require buddies to stay together. this is not racing. technique and staying together are more important than time.

2nd session- freediving and UW swimming with MSF. Start session with a few laps to warm up. repeat mask and snorkel clear and remove and replace. Demo head first and feet first dives. Instruct on the need to equalize in even a few feet of water and demo this. Then have students do a min of 3 dives each way from stopped position and require them to use equalization techniques. I also stress the need to relax and notice how little effort it takes and the amount of time that they can stay down when they do. Also stress proper ascent protecting the head. Next is 2 laps with each kick and a feet first or head first dive on every other length. Next is uw swim with MSF where I have them flood and clear. Finally the last item in this is to place MS on pool bottom. ascend. move 25 feet away, execute headfirst dive swim to MS, put them on, clear mask and have snorkel breathable when their head hits the surface then swim 2 lengths without lifting the head out of the water. Again they do these exercises in buddy pairs. If there is time I will intro them to scuba gear but usually save that for the next session as this is fun but it is work.

3rd session- Intro to scuba gear. Assemble gear and do buddy checks. We also estimate weight requirements and load the belts. Then carry gear to shallow end of the pool. Remove gear with assistance of buddy. Place in pool. Don weight belt and get in shallow end of pool with MSF. Buddies then assist each other putting on the bc and do bubble checks. Then no mask breathing with the reg and face in the water. Then breathing with mask on. Next move to water too deep to stand in and check weighting. Next is back to shallow end and do a horizontal descent to the bottom making making sure to equalize. THis is in 4 feet of water. We then just breath and use some basic hand signals we have already discussed in class and prior sessions. Slowly ascend again in horizontal position and make sure every one is ok. Then back down and do a partial mask flood and clear. Then reg in and out. Then full flood and clear, then remove and replace. We are still horizontal on the bottom. Next I demo use of the inflator and have students try it( fin pivot for most of you). Next is to move so that the body is out over the next level of the pool with just the thighs touching. More use of the inflator until they are neutral and horizontal. Then mask off and on, reg in and out, and reg retrieval is introduced with sweep and reach methods. Next I have them get slightly negative and take the weightbelt off and on. Then get them to do it a bit more neutral. Now we move to the next deeper level, equalizing, and get in position with just the fin tips on the pool "step". Repeat all skills in this position. Again they are required to maintain buddy position and watch each other and be ready to assist if needed.( I would actually intervene anywhere at this point but they still need to be right there). They then establish neutral buoyancy again and I give them 10 minutes or so to swim around and relax a bit. Here I sometimes need to slow people down so they stay in position and I'll encourage them to try the inflator with very small adjustments. Finally I'll stop them and have then try a mask remove and replace and reg retrieval while neutral.

continued next post

Last edited:
4th session- go back thru basic skills in same order but spend a little less time in shallows. Demonstrate air share with student. They are on the shelf I am neutral in front of them in midwater. Then have students share air stationary with one in midwater and other on the shelf. Switch roles. Then both are neutral and perform drill. Air share swim. Buddy breathing practice. Demonstrates the need to stay in position and in contact. Buddy breathing swim. Next no mask swim with me. Then no mask with buddy leading and assisting. Gear remove and replace. Starting with bc off and on. then bc, masks, and fins. Then bc, mask, fins, and weightbelt. If we have time we will do the doff and don at this point. otherwise 15 minutes to swim around and relax

5th session- basic skills while neutral and horizontal. gear remove and replace. doff and don. for those not familiar with this exercise the student removes all gear, executes a safe ascent to the surface while exhaling and within 30 seconds dive down and retrieve and put all gear back on. next is equipment exchange (bc, mask, and fins) while sharing air or buddy breathing. Next we will do what I call a round robin. In this exercise students remove their bc and place it in front of them. They are in opposite corners of the pool. On signal they then swim to each others gear and put it on. Next they will buddy up and one diver will remove their bc and will do an air share swim with their buddy. Before they leave on the swim I will take the gear that is left behind and switch straps around, loosen the tank, or tie the bc to the ladder. When they get back they will have to work as team to get the gear situated and back on. Then they get 15 minutes to swim and work on buoyuancy and trim.

6th session- basic skills while neutral and horizontal including bc off and on. Bailout. In this exercise the students are seated on the edge of the pool with all gear in their lap and air on and reg in. They fall forward and begin putting gear on as they descend. they are allowed to hit the bottom on this one. Once this is done we intro rescue skills. Starting with 3 versions of the tired diver tow. Under arm, tank valve, and fin push. Then tows while stripping gear. Next is the paniced diver at the surface drill. Both as single rescuer and as buddy team. 15 minutes to play and swim around while working on mask and reg skills.

7th session- basic skills while neutral and horizontal. Rescue tow while stripping gear. Unconscious diver from depth as single rescue and as team effort. In this case I am always the victim. Supporting a diver at the surface and assisting with establishing positive buoyancy by dropping weights. More swim time and buoyancy and trim refinement. boat exit using trail line simulation to remove gear and use buddy assist techniques. Note that after the first pool scuba session we rotate deep water entries between giant stride, backward roll, controlled seated, and in some cases forward roll. We have also done all of these on snorkel gear.

8th session- review of all previous sessions and skills. Students may choose to redo doff and don, no mask swims, air shares, or other skills. This session is also very strict on buddy procedures and positions. I may also use this time to demo and have them practice a bag shoot. I do have them deploy an smb on the surface.

This is a typical class for OW. I may move skills around depending on the student. For example I may switch the doff and don with the bailout if I think the student would be more comfortable doing them in that order. I may add more buoyancy drills if the students are ready. I expect them by session 6 to be doing most of their buoyancy adjustments with breathing patterns for fine control. We also adjust weights as tanks get lower and comfort levels go up. I may also put them in full wetsuits if the checkout conditions will require it. In most cases I have them in some kind of suit anyway. If they say they'll never dive cold water I won't put them in a 7 but will have them in a 3 mil. This is why I never take more than 4 students at a time and really prefer 2. No problems at all filling 16 hours of instruction.

I took a private course and did about 5 hours of pool work more or less this was 2 consecutive evenings.. I would say I spent 45 minutes on skills (except buoyancy) and most of that time was me going "wait wait... bananas will ripen and fall or in the fall whats I or T?" I had no trouble with the skills. 30 minutes of it was me swimming and floating. 3 hours was me working on buoyancy. 30 Minutes was taking gear off and putting it on and off and on and off and on. 15 minutes was devoted to me doing upside down lotus position meditation. At the end of the class my instructor said I've been thinking of constructive criticism and the only thing I can say is watch your air consumption and experience will take care of that, other than that your really cool and calm even when things didn't go exactly right. I think for my instructor he was perfectly happy to let me work on what I wanted to work on.

Interesting how OW classes differ... I had a very different experience in my OW course. I don't want to turn this into a "this is how one should teach" battle like I've seen in other threads. However... thank you Jim for the post. Very informative (and as a future hopeful instructor) this is a good way to learn how others present the material.

Jim, how do you see the issue of drilling skills that the student gets right away? I've noticed that most people get maybe 80% of the skills/material naturally without a whole lot of drilling.

When I took my EMT basic course there were a lot of skills that "just came naturally" to me. However, it was repetition and surprise during training that really cemented the ability to act when I wasn't thinking anymore. For instance, CPR really isn't that hard. MAYBE 10 minutes to get the motion right and get the rhythm to a point where you can easily recreate it. However, when you dont practice and you see someone without a pulse you tend to immediately shut off cognitive function and go on more primal instincts. Because I practiced so much when I responded to my first code I froze BUT was able to perform CPR just as perfectly as if I had done it in a controlled setting.

Diving skills are a lot like that. It's not that you need to learn how to do tasks that many find easy when calm and in controlled settings. You need to learn the tasks so when you are 80 ft down, the water is 50F, and visibility is low, that you are able to respond in a safe way no matter what. Practice is absolutely critical, even if you think you are a master at mask clears or buoyant ascents, or what have you.

Thanks for the post Jim. It was an interesting read.

-ddd

Back
Top Bottom