Preventing mask loss vs a spare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea,Akimbo. If I was doing a lot of surf dives I think I'd want to do this,too.
I've never lost a mask but I have had it kicked off a couple of times but was able to grab it before it got lost.
My worst mask problem was very early on when I probably only had about 50 dives. I was using a stupid purge-valve mask and the valve fell out ( or in,actually). I had a fully flooded mask and there was no way to clear it. I was also on a wreck at about 80 feet and my buddy was not a very good navigator. He took me the wrong way,against the current, then back again,trying to find the anchor line. Finally got to the anchor line and started going up. That was an unpleasant experience, having to do that much swimming with a strong current, relatively deep, without a mask. Worse,still, because I had a bit of anxiety over no-mask swimming at the time. I can assure you that is no longer an issue!
I do keep a spare in my drysuit pocket.

… Why not somewhat permentantly attach the mask to the hood? Put the hood on with mask attached and hanging, then adjust from that point? As long as there was some flexibility to the attachment to allow for mask adjustment should work.

That can certainly be done but is a bit less convenient for cleaning and handing. It is also less versatile if you use different hoods and/or no hood sometimes in warm water. No hood in warm water is the main reason I opted to attach to the mask with the Mask Strap Pad instead of directly to the mask strap (plus it was easier to sew). As mentioned, I attached a 1" D-ring on a short strap to my tropical suit, but low enough that I could still wear a thin hood if I wanted. If you look close at the latest version you will see I punched to small holes in the pad at the narrow end for a tie so I wouldn't have to depend entirely on Velcro.

ac160.jpg

I'm thinking a slap strap and velcro (or similar) on the back of a hood. Cheap, not completely encumbering and relatively to "go without" if you choose to for simple dives.

EDIT: Holy cow, that's what I get for not reading the thread before posting... you'd think I would have learned by now. I didn't realize this thread was 2 years old as I just looked at the month, not the year!

Anyway, I think you're right about the velcro as my velcro thigh pocket closure, which is 2" by 3" is already having issues remaining closed (especially after I retrieve something from the pocket) after only 15 or so dives with it. I like the d-ring and clip solution.

There is the DUI or Aquatec mask connection system: Aquatec (UK) Ltd. - Quality Diving Products For Sport and Commerical Divers

Haven't seen anyone else using them but I'm a big fan after having lost a mask in the surf before. Takes 5 minutes to install and has two independant straps connecting to the hood so it would take some very bad luck to lose it! I also like how you can flip it back on the surface and than quickly pull it back on when you need it.

Got one of those with my DUI DS. Still have it, and never installed it. Twenty five years of being a diver, and never lost a mask. Displaced and flooded now and then, but never lost......

Now, if I was to be in pounding surf on a regular basis.......

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 02:53 PM ----------

If I was to not be using a hood, perhaps a trip to the local "hair club" office to get some snaps installed in my scalp.... :D

Got one of those with my DUI DS. Still have it, and never installed it. Twenty five years of being a diver, and never lost a mask. Displaced and flooded now and then, but never lost......

Now, if I was to be in pounding surf on a regular basis.......

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 02:53 PM ----------

If I was to not be using a hood, perhaps a trip to the local "hair club" office to get some snaps installed in my scalp.... :D
Ooh!i broke my neck and didn't have a halo, only because the fracture was a vertebrae too low. The surgeon changed his mind at the last minute and went with a different type of brace. I still remember the horrible feeling while I was laying in the ER and heard him call for the "halo tray".
Your comment just reminded me of the halo!

:fear: sorry....

I was using a stupid purge-valve mask and the valve fell out ( or in,actually). I had a fully flooded mask and there was no way to clear it.

Why was it fully flooded? I would think that if you exhaled through your nose you would clear the top 2/3 or so of the mask since the purge is below the nose. What am I missing?

How do you equalize the swim goggles? Have you tried them? I once tried swim goggles in the pool down to about 8 feet and it was a total no-go.

If I understand correctly they are donned at depth and full of water except for a few bubbles he manages to trap inside, equalizing in that case would not be an issue.

I'm a bit too lazy to read through the pages, but has anyone ever seen the back of a ski helmet? Notice that little tab in the back that hooks over your goggles straps........

x07-ski-helmet1neg.jpg

The big problem with wearing the mask strap under the hood is that you can't do it with a snorkel attached to the mask. I pretty much always wear a snorkel.

Also, I never wear a hood (or any other neoprene) in the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom