Presure vessel on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They work pretty well. I use one for my cell checker and small pressure tester for dive computers.

Hard to beat the price for $12 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VT79VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pentek 158117 1/4 in. Inlet/Outlet 10 in. Filter Clear Slim Line Housing with Pressure Release-PENTEK-158117 - The Home Depot

These are 1/4" NPT so you can put a LP inflator and pressure gauge on them and do a pressure test using any regulator with an LP hose and not have to rely on house water supply pressure. I add a ball valve and only crack the valve on my scuba tank so I can filly very slowly and control the fill rate / pressure. You could also use a needle valve here but for my needs this works fine.

They are pressure rated to 125psi but I'd be careful about pressurizing them that high especially if you are putting air in them. I fill mine with water as much as possible to minimize explosive force since air is compressible and water is not. I HIGHLY recommend adding an OPV for safety. I set mine to 45psi which will basically get you to 30m/99ft. For my needs, I don't need to go over 45psi.

44.1psi gauge pressure = 58.8psi absolute pressure

Building The Under $50 O2 Cell Checker - wrecklessdiver.com

Cell-Checker-Diagram.png

Nice looking set-up macado! I must say, that I would be too shy to be using Air rather than Water due to it's explosive potential. But I see that you keep the pressure lower.

Here is an old photo of my test (with water) showing the pressure nearing the max. local line pressure. The elastic band is ettached to a lead weight to keep the Depth Gauge from floating up to the top of the 'bottle'

T6QkJLA.jpg

Now that I think about that, putting a lead weight into my household water filter wasn't my brightest idea. Not recommended!

Here is a nice bottle that takes 4.5" cartridges - but they want $110 for it, so I just keep looking in the junk shops till I find one.

3QF0aCp.png

Oh My, a further edit = I see this subject has some similar posts, and very detailed, so I doff my hat. you know, I thought I did a search but I seemed to have missed them! ...

DIY Transparent Pressure Testing Vessel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom