Presure vessel on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A cheap Pressure Pot.

This is my first DIY post so I hope I will not embarrass myself.

A while back I needed to test my Suunto that I had not enough time to have the battery properly swapped out before a trip and so elected to did it myself. Not a good idea, but I was stuck. As I did have to re-use the o-ring I wanted to give it a test in fresh water before going to salt on the trip.

My solution was to take out the filter to our household water filter and pop in the Suunto with a mechanical depth gauge to watch through the clear blue plastic. I did do a test first and found the local pressure went to 110'. So I thought I was rather good enough. Also to learn from the test to leave a faucet slightly open (upstairs) to allow for gentle 'decompression' when the test is over.

Test went very well. Took me to 110 with no leaks and held it there for 30min before shutting off the supply and starting the slow release of pressure.

Has anyone else used these filters as a test pot?

A cheap Pressure Pot.

This is my first DIY post so I hope I will not embarrass myself.

A while back I needed to test my Suunto that I had not enough time to have the battery properly swapped out before a trip and so elected to did it myself. Not a good idea, but I was stuck. As I did have to re-use the o-ring I wanted to give it a test in fresh water before going to salt on the trip.

My solution was to take out the filter to our household water filter and pop in the Suunto with a mechanical depth gauge to watch through the clear blue plastic. I did do a test first and found the local pressure went to 110'. So I thought I was rather good enough. Also to learn from the test to leave a faucet slightly open (upstairs) to allow for gentle 'decompression' when the test is over.

Test went very well. Took me to 110 with no leaks and held it there for 30min before shutting off the supply and starting the slow release of pressure.

Has anyone else used these filters as a test pot?

Clever thought process! I like it. Yes, I've seen a few people do bench mounted versions, but never someone using the household water line... Such a convenient solution and without the risk of excessive pressure.

Liking the idea of bleeding of the pressure slowly too by opening the control valve (shower).

Love it!
Cameron

Replacing the battery by yourself is A GREAT idea (after all, check the name if this sub-forum.).

I'm not sure we have a similar feature here in our home plumbing. Can you possibly take a picture?

I've seen those water filter vessels used for underwater fix lights by docks, but this is so much better.

Thanks for making me smile. **** the morning news....

Wow, what a simple and effective solution! The only potential problem I see is that if you have a leak in the DC, you get water intrusion.

Replacing the battery by yourself is A GREAT idea (after all, check the name if this sub-forum.).
I'm not sure we have a similar feature here in our home plumbing. Can you possibly take a picture?

Not that I am really pushing for people to swap their own Suunto Batteries as it against the recommended procedure, but I was off on a trip in a week and none of the local LDS' would do the change 'in house' and sending it to Vancouver would have taken too long, so it was this or gauges.
I did this 2 or 3 years back - I did video the test, so I will see if I can find the file. It was a bit dark as I was doing it down in the basement.

Wow, what a simple and effective solution! The only potential problem I see is that if you have a leak in the DC, you get water intrusion.

Yes, I do agree, but I was watching for any bubbles, and if any appeared I could decompress by pushing down the release valve on the top of the unit. If that happen the watch would have shot into deco mode and locked me out for a week. But if it leaked at least it would have been fresh water - not salt - and so may well have survived a drying out.

I really worry about batteries that are not User Replaceable - we are usually diving remote locations and I hate the idea of only using my gauges and not logging the dives digitally. Although if trouble appears I can cut back on my sampling rate - gives about 20 extra dives.

@ Akimbo - AHA! thanks! So I am not so nuts! I must say that I would not really want to push the pressure as high as they are discussing in that post! They suggest the transparent units as well, so you can track the internal pressure with an old puck pressure unit. I am now looking for one of the double width units in transparent plastic - that I am hoping the mouth big enough to insert my camera case for o-ring tests.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I only get 60 psig at best. But then I live half-way up a hill.

Wow, nicely done!
60 PSI is close to 135 FSW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom