Pressure Gauge Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crosing

Contributor
Reaction score
My understanding is that the pressure gauge is clipped off on the rear left d ring. When horizontal can you read it or do you need to unclip it and hold it up to read?

According to my DIR-F book, you unclip it. Was just reading through the book today. Good stuff.

Yes u need to unclip it to read it, my understanding though is that one should know their SAC rate and how fast they burn through the tank at any depth. Lately I have been trying to estimate how much I have left and then looking at the guage to confirm. Also I was told when unclipping it you should make sure that you do a sweeping motion and hold the guage on the outside (near your pinky) to read it. This is to get in the habit early cause when you begin to wear stage bottles on the left you need to unclip and bring the guage out from its nice juicy streamlined position near the bottom of the stages.

Depends_on_what_type_of_mask_you_have_with_my_mares_X_vision_i_can_turn_my_head_and_look_quickly.
With_my_girlfriends_halycon_mask_i_cant_see_back_that_far_seriously_should_practices_the_skill_make_it_as_easy_as_turning_on_a_light_as_the_bolt_snaps_are_used_on_everything.

maccajim:
Depends_on_what_type_of_mask_you_have_with_my_mares_X_vision_i_can_turn_my_head_and_look_quickly.
With_my_girlfriends_halycon_mask_i_cant_see_back_that_far_seriously_should_practices_the_skill_make_it_as_easy_as_turning_on_a_light_as_the_bolt_snaps_are_used_on_everything.
Your _ key_is_sticking. :)

Most of the time I can just look down to see the gauge without unclipping it its easier and faster, and thats with stage or deco bottles attached. You should be proficent at unclipping it though.

I tried to just look at it, but my gauge is too small. Unclipping becomes second nature in a hurry.

I leave mine clipped off as well. Just bend the head down and check it out. I got some SPG's that are about 2 3/8" across and very sturdy. Works well.

I unclip mine. It's on a really short HP hose and moreover the gauge itself is not all that big. However the clipping/unclipping has become second nature - you get so you can hold the boltsnap open, sweep across your hip and drop it closed right on the D ring without fumbling for it at all.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom