Pressure Difference between 70ft and 40ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the pressure difference on your ears between 40ft and 70 ft ?

It will be the same as your other body parts and everything else around you. :D

Sorry I couldn't resist that one......:eyebrow:

Gary D.

It will be the same as your other body parts and everything else around you. :D

Sorry I couldn't resist that one......:eyebrow:

Nice...

Don't forget that the difference is negligible if you're talking altitude.

Ken

An easier way is to multiply the depth by .445 psi for standard salinity salt water or .432 for fresh water.

The presure of any 1 foot of depth of saltwater is .445 psi. So the presure difference between any 2 depths is: (D2 - D1) X .445 or difference70:40=(70-40)x0.445=13.35psi

This will be covered in your OW class. I assume you have not done that yet based on the question which is covered (or better be) by any OW instructor. It is covered in depth by all OW material I have seen.

John nailed the answer. From a practical standpoint what you NEED to take away is to clear...clear...clear.... Clear early, clear often, clear constantly when descending especially in the first 33 feet. If you feel any pressure whatsoever, clear. If you can not do so, then ascend and try until you can.

Unfortunately it takes a bit of practice to do this automatically and without issues. If your ears are clear/equalized, than they won't clear again until you have descended a bit more. Be careful when you clear to not put too much pressure on your ears. You can blow out an eardrum if you blow too hard.

I still screw up my ears occasionally after years of diving. Generally not enough to stop me from diving, but enough so my ears make funny sounds while clearing. Remember to NEVER force clear. If your ears will not clear, ascend and try again.

Diving shallow is easy in every regard BUT ear equalization. As the pressure changes are the greatest in the first 33 feet, those 10~30foot glory dives on shallow reefs can be hell on the ears if you are not paying attention. Going up is not the issue, the ears will generally self clear, but anytime you descend, you must pay attention to those darn floppy ears!

If you are clearing properly the answer is 0. Pressure difference between the inside and the outside of your eardrum is what causes pain, if you are clearing properly there is no differential pressure, reguardless of depth. Now if your asking what is the diffenence in ambient pressure on the body between the 2 depths, see above.
He didn't say 'on scuba'. :) He could be talking free-diving.

If you are clearing properly the answer is 0. Pressure difference between the inside and the outside of your eardrum is what causes pain, if you are clearing properly there is no differential pressure, reguardless of depth. Now if your asking what is the diffenence in ambient pressure on the body between the 2 depths, see above.

He didn't say 'on scuba'. :) He could be talking free-diving.

Herman is right.
What possible difference would scuba vs free diving make on the pressure difference?

Actually, the difference in pressure is very close to zero, or at the least very difficult to measure.

Oh, wait...you mean going DOWN! Silly me, I calculated it for going the other direction from the surface. (Air pressure...fools me every time!)

Herman is right.
What possible difference would scuba vs free diving make on the pressure difference?

NONE!

Gary D.

I appreciate the help..I've been certified for 12 years but never had the chance to go deeper than 70ft. Going after my Advanced in a couple of weeks that's why I was wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom