Choosing between different numbers of cores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When purchasing a fiberoptic cable, is there any practical difference between one with 613 cores versus one with 217 cores?

For the great majority of cases, No. I have made cables with the 217 and 613 and 1000. They all work fine for my LED trigger and strobes from S&S. Inon, AOI and the Backscatter Mini (1 and 2). The minimum bend radius for the 613 and 1000 core fibers is 1 mm, for the 217 core it is 2 mm so a sharp bend might put you out of commission with the 217 faster than the others but I have not seen anything like this with the fibers I use.
Bill

For the great majority of cases, No. I have made cables with the 217 and 613 and 1000. They all work fine for my LED trigger and strobes from S&S. Inon, AOI and the Backscatter Mini (1 and 2). The minimum bend radius for the 613 and 1000 core fibers is 1 mm, for the 217 core it is 2 mm so a sharp bend might put you out of commission with the 217 faster than the others but I have not seen anything like this with the fibers I use.
Bill
Thanks. Any recommendations for making my own cables? What cable to buy? Connectors? Etc?

cables I get from industrial fiber optics. Connectors you can 3-D print (Dave Hicks has some excellent ones) or you can buy connectors from a variety of places (Inon has both straight and angled connectors, Howshot also has some). Coiling (if you want ) is simple, wind the cable around a mandrel and put it in boiling water then turn off the heat and wait til it is room temp.
Simple, and there are a ton of threads here on making your own.
Bill

cables I get from industrial fiber optics. Connectors you can 3-D print (Dave Hicks has some excellent ones) or you can buy connectors from a variety of places (Inon has both straight and angled connectors, Howshot also has some). Coiling (if you want ) is simple, wind the cable around a mandrel and put it in boiling water then turn off the heat and wait til it is room temp.
Simple, and there are a ton of threads here on making your own.
Bill
I need a little bit more help, if you don't mind. Since I don't have a 3D printer, I'm going to get the Howshot connectors for my YS-D3s. I saw the cables from Industrial Fiber Optics, but I have no idea which particular one to order. Also, I can't find how to order less than 500m lengths. Would you mind telling me specifically what you order from them?

Sure. For the 217 core material here is the page
and you see at the bottom a price of $6 per meter.
Similarly for the 613 core
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 4.31.07 PM.png

and you see the price is $7.50 per meter
hope this helps
BVA
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 4.31.07 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom