Prescription or readers to see the dang camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went ahead and ordered a set of lens to be bonded into my Atomic Frameless. I had a NIB spare so I sent it off this afternoon. Fingers crossed. I ordered Executive or full width "readers" but at a +2.25 diopter (per prescription). My right eye has issues to complex to relate in a forum, too boring also, but I need to start using my left eye for close up instead of my right. Hopefully I will get the mask in before my upcoming trip.

I almost ordered the Oracle mask but I tried a +1.75 reader glass, not enough magnification for me. Thing is I have several masks I normally use. While the Atomic Frameless is my favorite, the SP Frameless I often prefer on esthetics alone. This could get expensive :(.

Thanks all for the suggestions

James
Send your favorite mask and your prescription to the Prescription Dive Mask people.

You start with a mask that fits your face. And a prescription that fits your eyes. They do the rest.

The only issue is being able to properly mark your "eye level" on the mask before you send it. My dive buddy required 2 attempts....but she claimed the expense was worth it. She dives to see things...

Well, Prescription Dive Mask called me and told me that I could not get by with "readers" and that they very much recommended installing my actual prescription. So the price went up a bunch and now I will look like a dork I am sure. But I am a dork so it is okay. I went with their recommendation because they are the experts, I just need to be able to see, lol.

I went to my reserve dive locker and pulled out a NIB Atomic Frameless still with tags and sent it to them yesterday. Now my wife wants hers done!

N

It's well worth it. I switched from contacts to a prescription mask a few years ago for much the same reasons. I just could not focus in close anymore with the contacts. The mono-vision contacts setup does not work as well underwater either. I have been very happy with my bifocal prescription mask.

Only problem is this: I just went to Galapagos and on the second day of diving I did a back roll with my giant DSLR rig (which I was not accustomed to) and my Precious prescription mask flipped off and sank to the bottom. As it was a high current area nobody else surfaced and executed the dive. After an hour of chewing nails on the panga thinking that my trip was ruined the divers returned and fortunately someone has spotted my mask slowly descending without me and retrieved it.

Lesson: Don't order one prescription mask. Get a second one for backup!!!

I dove the rest of the trip with a tiny carabiner connecting my wetsuit zipper pull string to my mask acting like a lanyard. Talk about looking like a dork!!

I need cataract surgery, glasses will no longer correct my vision. Hope someone can help or refer me to others. Read an old thread, not relevant 2018. I am scheduled for cataract surgery with Trifocals lens- state of the art ( available in Europe past 7 years US 8 month). Anyone have experience with these? Not cheap but eliminates glasses for distance , computer and up to 16” for reading (on land) Wouldn’t need lenses in mask (less than 16”?)
Those of you with 20/20 vision how close do you actually get to anything to see clearly. I do like finding the little stuff and would like to see it.. Let’s pretend money is no object. ALL feedback appreciated

I need cataract surgery, glasses will no longer correct my vision. Hope someone can help or refer me to others. Read an old thread, not relevant 2018. I am scheduled for cataract surgery with Trifocals lens- state of the art ( available in Europe past 7 years US 8 month). Anyone have experience with these? Not cheap but eliminates glasses for distance , computer and up to 16” for reading (on land) Wouldn’t need lenses in mask (less than 16”?)
Those of you with 20/20 vision how close do you actually get to anything to see clearly. I do like finding the little stuff and would like to see it.. Let’s pretend money is no object. ALL feedback appreciated
I have multifocal implants, info is here. I love them. Got them in late 2015. Many dive trips since then. No issues close up; don't forget the extra 25% magnification you get underwater....it is already like wearing weak reading glasses.

My friends ask did I think the multifocals were worth the (substantial) price increase over monofocals. Unequivocally YES.

I use a Sea Vision prescription mask and get a new one every two years. This spring when I place my order for a new one, I'll have them put my bifocal in. I haven't worried about it previously because I could read my camera settings and gauges reasonably well, but it's time to add the bifocal. I always travel with an old prescription mask as a backup just in case I lose the one with the current prescription.

-AZTinman

I have multifocal implants, info is here. I love them. Got them in late 2015. Many dive trips since then. No issues close up; don't forget the extra 25% magnification you get underwater....it is already like wearing weak reading glasses.

My friends ask did I think the multifocals were worth the (substantial) price increase over monofocals. Unequivocally YES.

May I ask what the cost of the lenses were and what type of surgery you had - advanced laser?

May I ask what the lens cost and what type of surgery the used (manual or laser)

May I ask what the cost of the lenses were and what type of surgery you had - advanced laser?
They were about twice the price of the monofocal, which were covered by my insurance as "medically necessary." My vague memory is about $2000 extra per lens. I think it was manual; I remember no discussion of lasers.

I actually still have 20/20 vision which is down somewhat from my 15/15. Plus I have some sort of something going on with my right eye but I can mostly see pretty good, just not very good at all up close, I got to have glasses. I hope this works. I have never done a prescription mask before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom