Prescription or readers to see the dang camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I cannot see my camera or read the screen, or my SPG or my watch. I was able to manage with my S90/FIX because I was so familiar with it. My new Nauticam NA6400, I cannot see anything. I was in the pool last night testing set ups and gave up. I have stick on readers in my mask but they were useless, I guess my eyes have gotten worse and the lack of familiarity.

Anyone recommend a prescription mask? I want to keep using my Atomic Frameless so I would need to have them bonded in. I guess the question is, readers or full prescription? Some of the companies have what they call executive or large readers that cover the entire lower section of the lens instead of prescription that has a smaller bifocal.

Just wondering,
James

Check with Prescription Dive Masks. You can send in your Atomic mask and they'll fix it up. Tell them you want it for u/w photography and they'll adjust the size and location of the "reader" part of the prescription.

If you've been using stick-on readers, why not just update them to a prescription that works?

The Hydro-Tac stick-ons come in lots of different strengths.

Have you considered multifocal contacts? I tried stick ons and they just weren't for me. I do the contacts now and can see the camera and the reef and fish.

i have these Oracle + Gauge Reader Mask upgraded from the glue on dot.
I have the Oracle mask but I bought mine at my LDS and had prescription bi-focal lenses put in. I absolutely love this mask. It fits my face very well and I rarely ever get any water in it.

When I bought mine, it came with just regular lenses. However, it does appear that the Oracle is now available only as the Oracle+ with the 1.75 diopter already installed. But if someone is only a little bit far-sighted and doesn't need distance correction, this would probably work well for them.

Have you considered multifocal contacts? I tried stick ons and they just weren't for me. I do the contacts now and can see the camera and the reef and fish.

+1

I went ahead and ordered a set of lens to be bonded into my Atomic Frameless. I had a NIB spare so I sent it off this afternoon. Fingers crossed. I ordered Executive or full width "readers" but at a +2.25 diopter (per prescription). My right eye has issues to complex to relate in a forum, too boring also, but I need to start using my left eye for close up instead of my right. Hopefully I will get the mask in before my upcoming trip.

I almost ordered the Oracle mask but I tried a +1.75 reader glass, not enough magnification for me. Thing is I have several masks I normally use. While the Atomic Frameless is my favorite, the SP Frameless I often prefer on esthetics alone. This could get expensive :(.

Thanks all for the suggestions

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom