prescription masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdk8505

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did my first confined dive class today and I was hoping I could get by without a prescription mask, but it doesn't look like that is the case. can anyone recommend a source for a prescription mask? I see a few on the internet but always prefer to go with a source that comes recommended.

Thanks.

Most LDS will be able to sell you a prescription mask....usually what is required is your prescription to be sent away with the order of the mask.

At least that's how it works with most of the shops up here. It gives you a chance to try the mask on and ensure fit before buying.

I would ask your shop if they can order them......that would be the easiest in the long run

There are some off the shelf solutions (Mares and TUSA for example) and there re custom ones. Depends on how complicated your Rx is.

There are some off the shelf solutions (Mares and TUSA for example) and there re custom ones. Depends on how complicated your Rx is.

Prior to laser eye surgery :D I was using a Tusa Splendive IV with stock off the shelf perscription lenses - mine were -7.5, so they are available in a wide range of powers, After laser eye surgery :D I just put the plain lenses back in.

I favour laser eye surgery :D. Recognizing that may not be on the table, I can speak to the fact that the off the shelf solutions can work well. The bonus is that it makes it easier to try the mask prior to buying - look online for which models have the option, and focus your shopping on those. If your LDS can get the mask they can get the lenses.

I use the TUSA lenses (one at -6.0 and the other at -6.5). I had my LDS take care of fitting the lenses, and I'm one hunderd percent happy with them. Even though they don't exactly line up with my prescription, I've had no trouble at all under the water. The worst part is having to rely on my seeing-eye buddy to get me to the shore entry from the car (or risk looking ridiculous walking around with the mask on out of the water ...)

Last edited:
I use the TUSA lenses (one at -6.0 and the other at -6.5). I had my LDS take care of fitting the lenses, and I'm one hunderd percent happy with them. Even though they don't exactly line up with my prescription, but I've had no trouble at all under the water. The worst part is having to rely on my seeing-eye buddy to get me to the shore entry from the car (or risk looking ridiculous walking around with the mask on out of the water ...)

Get yourself a hard case, pelican or some such to put your glasses in and clip off on your rig when you put your mask on. Even if the case leaks at depth, it won't hurt the glasses, but it is better than putting them in a BCD pocket where they can get broken. Something like this would work Pelican 1015 Micro Case (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Something to consider :)

Get yourself a hard case, pelican or some such to put your glasses in and clip off on your rig when you put your mask on. Even if the case leaks at depth, it won't hurt the glasses, but it is better than putting them in a BCD pocket where they can get broken. Something like this would work Pelican 1015 Micro Case (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Something to consider :)

Thanks for the tip gcarter, that looks like a good idea. It doesn't look like these boxes are designed for diving, but as you say, it doesn't matter if it gets a bit wet inside.

Prior to laser eye surgery :D I was using a Tusa Splendive IV with stock off the shelf perscription lenses - mine were -7.5, so they are available in a wide range of powers, After laser eye surgery :D I just put the plain lenses back in.

I favour laser eye surgery :D. Recognizing that may not be on the table, I can speak to the fact that the off the shelf solutions can work well. The bonus is that it makes it easier to try the mask prior to buying - look online for which models have the option, and focus your shopping on those. If your LDS can get the mask they can get the lenses.

The surgery was great. Except that I saw better with mask on underwater when near-sighted. Can't use reading glasses underwater, so I modify my analog console so I can read it OK. And the surgery costs an arm and a leg.

Back
Top Bottom