prescription masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you just need readers, you can go with something like the XS Look down reader mask. You can also search for bifocal dive masks and come up with some other options as well. I have the XS reader mask, which works great for seeing my guages.

I have purchased exactly one prescription mask ground just for my prescription. That was in 1998 at a cost of just under $500.00. Since then I have gone with the "off the shelf solutions", and been very pleased, at a per mask cost of about $150.00 to $200.00. They have been "close enough" for underwater use, even though I am now a trifocal wearer. I have put in a small "reading lens in the corner of the left side, but can get by without that.
So in my experience, the "off the shelf "solution works just fine. My LDS does not carry them, but another shop about 7 miles away does. I am sure you can locate one in your area.
DivemasterDennis

Any reason you don't want to consider wearing lenses?

I am not big on wearing lenses - but bought dailies for my diving days.

Think about it.

I glued a single 2x magnifier into my mask so that I can read gauges and see the occassional small critter. what I would really like is to find some solid glue in reading lenses to give me better vision to near objects. The prblem that I have is that I like/need the classic oval mask that have gotten challenging to find. Anyone know where those can be found? I have seen the dive optx stick on lenses, but have had trouble find them in stock and have heard that the are not reliable and will float away. Does any one have any opinions/ suggestions?

If you need correction for distance (a negative diopter) and don't have astigmatism, (the cylinder part of the prescription,) then the Aqua Lung Look 2 mask is a good option. I got my prescription lenses a few days ago, (-3.0,-2.5) and they are great.

Dive Rite has a pretty cheap option for prescription mask. Let me know if you need help. Total cost is less than 90 bucks including mask and lens.

I've used the folks in Spectrum's first link with good results ... having been wearing prescription masks now for about the past decade or so. Some recommendations ...

- Don't just rely on their recommendation for a mask. Find one that fits you well and send it to them for the lenses. They can fit lenses into basically any 2-lens mask.
- If you need bifocals, pay the extra and get the bifocals built into the lens. The stick-on bifocals are more trouble than the money you'll save by using them.
- Buy two identical masks ... but only send one away for the prescription lenses. Then when your mask skirt wears out, or something on the mask breaks, it's a simple matter to just transfer your expensive lenses over to the new mask.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tried buying a prescription mask once (from PrescriptionDiveMasks.com in San Diego), and it was like looking through a Coke bottle, as my correction is pretty severe. I absolutely hated the mask and its thick lenses. Far worse than looking through eyeglasses. Everything looked distorted. I dive with contact lenses exclusively and, just like on land, I hardly notice I'm wearing them.

I've been using this guy for years:

Prescription Sport Optics

I refer Rx masks over contact lens because I can remove my mask underwater and open my eyes.

I get two Rx masks, with bifocals, and keep one mask on me as a spare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom