Prescription Lenses With Astigmatism Correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
Hi,
Just got back with a hot net prescription in hand from my optometrist today and astigmatism is a real factor in how well I can see.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a website where you can get lenses ground (no rush) for masks. I've got a Tusa Imprex (standard two lens model). It's just got the diopter correction for near sightedness and I'd like to get ready for my Bay Islands trip in Feb.

Thanks!
Terry

I've got astigmatism too. I have a pair of Cressi Fucus masks with diopter only correction lenses in them.

I havn't been to the eye-doc for about 3 years so I 'm about due for a look-see. ;-)

If it's possible to get the full perscription done for a mask, I might be interested in doing the scuba lenses as well.

I also have astigmatism. The masks I use are "diopter" only
(and a high "+" at that) but it allows me to read the gauges.

I've always used Sea Vision masks. The lenses are ground to your RX specification, not glued in.

Sea Visions are sold in alot of dive shops or you can order from the website. I'd strongly suggest you find a dive shop that carries them and try the various styles of masks on to make sure it fits. I've always ordered mine through the dive shop. Just give them a copy of your prescription and they fax it to Sea vision with the order. It only takes about 7-10 days.

I have developed presbyopia, or old eye syndrome. Which means instead of simply being nearsighted, I can no longer see well close up yet I can't see far away either! I had to have bifocals added to my last mask so I could see my digital camera screen! But now I can see close and far but not inbetween!

Wonder if anyone makes masks with Verilux lenses?!?

I'm awaiting my first prescription mask with bifocal lenses (3 weeks plus). I've been diving with only one contact lens in for seeing far and my uncorrected eye for reading guages.

Just curious why some of you wouldn't consider contact lenses as opposed to correcting mask? Even if you aren't a regular CL user, I would think that cost would be comparable, more convenient and perhaps even safer (more likely to lose a mask in chop than mid to high water contact lenses). What have been others experiences with CLs and recreational diving?

There are a lot of masks with available custom ground lenses (seems like most of the two lens masks offer the option). I've not seen an online store that does anything more than the off the shelf prescriptions.
My LDS quoted me $80 a piece for custom ground lenses for my Apollo prestige mask.

I wear contacts when I dive, and I've never personally had a problem with them. However I have known people who have lost one or both contacts while diving. If your contacts fit well and don't just fall out then I doubt that there is a problem with wearing them, but a lot of people seem to have contacts that aren't a perfect fit.

Personally I looked into the prescription mask thing, but in the end I decided thatr dealing with contacts was a lot less hassle.

tinman once bubbled...
Just curious why some of you wouldn't consider contact lenses as opposed to correcting mask? Even if you aren't a regular CL user, I would think that cost would be comparable, more convenient and perhaps even safer (more likely to lose a mask in chop than mid to high water contact lenses). What have been others experiences with CLs and recreational diving?

I've had my prescription lenses with a strong correction for astigmatism glued on to the face plate of my mask for 24 years. For about half that time, I've also needed bifocals. My daughter has been diving with contacts during the same time. Whose right? I think we both are.

While I agree that contacts are convenient, I've avoided them because my lens needs to be oriented properly to correct for astigmatism and to function as bifocals, but I have no assurance that the orientation of contacts will be correct when I'm swimming horizontally or looking head-down at something. It seems that the way these contacts are oriented is with the aid of a tiny weight in the bottom of the lens, thus requiring a heads-up posture.

While I agree that contacts are convenient, I've avoided them because my lens needs to be oriented properly to correct for astigmatism and to function as bifocals, but I have no assurance that the orientation of contacts will be correct when I'm swimming horizontally or looking head-down at something. It seems that the way these contacts are oriented is with the aid of a tiny weight in the bottom of the lens, thus requiring a heads-up posture.

FWIW I wear toric contacts to correct my astigmatism, and I've never had a problem with orientation while diving.
I believe that the brand I wear is oriented by a small hairline slit in the lens which is oriented when you blink.

And they say for $160 they'll get replacement lenses with astigmatism correction in 4-6 weeks. Bifocal correction would be another $40. Sounds good enough to go do right now. Thx for the advice!
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom