Preparing for the Annular Eclipse: Sunday, May 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I think the last Solar Eclipse even close to Total we had in this part of the world was the Annular in 1994. I invited several friends to meet me for camp out at White City near Carlsbad Caverns as I had a hunch that the skies would be clearer there than here - which failed. We were overcast that day, but clear back home in Lubbock Texas. :silly: I hope the skies are clear here for this one. :idk:

The NASA article: Solar Eclipse over the USA - NASA Science
And time table: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHtables/OH2012-Tab03.pdf

Looking around for Solar Eclipse viewing glasses, the best deal seems to be 25 for less than $25 at Eclipse Glasses for Annular Solar Eclipse 2012 but I'd kinda like to shoot some pics and/or video with our point & shoot cameras, nothing fancy - and I know to totally avoid useing optical view finders, but can I just cut up a pair of those glassed to protect the lens? If I am reading that chart right, it starts at 00:31 Zulu, 19:21 CDT, or 7:21pm adjusted for DST. Sunset is 8:45 so we'll get over an hour of the show if not cloudy. Over 4 minutes of Annularity. That low in the sky, do I need to worry about my cameras? Even at peak, it looks like it will be only 93% blocked, so I don't guess we'll see Beads or Diamonds.

Oh that seller will send you one pair for $1 and a SASE. See http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html and there are ebay sellers.

A #14 welders glass filter will also work, but I don't see an advantage. I don't know of any other safe viewing filters, as smoked glass, black negatives, mylar, etc are not safe.

Any suggestions or other discussion...?? :crafty:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom