Preferred Sidemount Return Swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Lets say you're diving sidemount and surface 200 yards/meters from your destination (boat, ladder, etc). What is your preferred method for returning to your destination? Does it change depending on surface traffic, air remaining, surface conditions, or any other factors?

Reactions: OTF
Lets say you're diving sidemount and surface 200 yards/meters from your destination (boat, ladder, etc). What is your preferred method for returning to your destination? Does it change depending on surface traffic, air remaining, surface conditions, or any other factors?
SM, BM, CCR, doesnt matter. Face down, always face down and "in trim" - assuming you have the gas to breath. If there's boat traffic around changing your position will do zilch to help you except delay your return. Because turning face up will put you feet down and you're now swimming at a 45deg angle and slower, using more energy. Keep your SMB in your hand and periodically look up to scan for boats and maintain your direction.

If there are waves, and you have some gas left, then diving is more comfortable than a surface swim. Swimming against the wind can also be hard.

In calm weather it is great to swim on the surface on ones back as then you can breathe freely instead of using a reg or snorkel (if you even carry one!). Many people warn against this as waves could flush your face and you could (should not) inhale water. So, be carefull. And do support the cylinders with your hands if needed. You need to keep your feet close to the surface though. It's easy with a drysuit, as it is like a balloon. I don't have experience with wetsuits. If you wear a wetsuit, you should rely on wetsuit divers instructions.

If you have gas, you can swim face down.

If I surfaced 200 yards/meters from the boat with not enough gas to swim back under the surface then I really screwed up or got caught in a ripping current unexpectedly. Anyway, if I had enough gas to make it back I’d get a heading and follow that back underwater to the boat. If I’m out of gas and there’s no boat traffic I’d probably flop on my back and kick my way to the boat. If there is boat traffic I’d try to get someone’s attention with my SMB/DSMB.

One more thing. It is hard to stay on course when swimming on your back. You need to bend your neck to see where you are going - and the world is upside down. If you swim face down, then you need to lift your head occasionally to see where the boat is, but at least it's the correct way up :D

I swim on my back. I don't believe in the other responses about how hard it is to see, to keep your legs at the surface, etc. But I will say, if you surface that far from your exit point, things have gone wrong and the dive plan was not very good.

I often swim out and back along a break wall or kelp edge.
- On my side with the down arm extended forward of my head is the most aware posture.
- When tired, on my back, though often with hips a bit turned so kicks are closer to side to side not up/down.
- Sometimes belly down and rolling to breath. (no snorkel)
This is with small LP50 or AL40 tanks though.

SM, BM, CCR, doesnt matter. Face down, always face down and "in trim" - assuming you have the gas to breath. If there's boat traffic around changing your position will do zilch to help you except delay your return. Because turning face up will put you feet down and you're now swimming at a 45deg angle and slower, using more energy.
This is incorrect.

Yes, if you have gas, then you can swim underwater in trim. But if you are snorkeling or turning/raising your head to breathe, then swimming in trim on your stomach means an extremely inefficient kick since your fins will be breaking the surface.

In reality, due to the need to keep your fins submerged throughout the entire stroke, it makes no practical difference in terms of drag whether you are on your front or back.

SM, BM, CCR, doesnt matter. Face down, always face down and "in trim" - assuming you have the gas to breath. If there's boat traffic around changing your position will do zilch to help you except delay your return. Because turning face up will put you feet down and you're now swimming at a 45deg angle and slower, using more energy. Keep your SMB in your hand and periodically look up to scan for boats and maintain your direction.
I've mostly been surface-swimming backwards, if I surface far from the boat. Though at the moment I'm thinking I should probably break out my neglected compass and try to do 10-15ft underwater swims on the way back.

But I will say, if you surface that far from your exit point, things have gone wrong and the dive plan was not very good.
Probably true in general, but not every case. For example, I might do a dive that follows the shore-line looking for loot. When I reach the end, the place is reasonably well looted, and I might be over 200 yards away. Obviously, I can simply just make the return trip underwater if I have air, but that's the end point of where I wanted to go.

In other situations, I usually try to make a loop, so that I can cover new ground on the way back.

Yes, if you have gas, then you can swim underwater in trim. But if you are snorkeling or turning/raising your head to breathe, then swimming in trim on your stomach means an extremely inefficient kick since your fins will be breaking the surface. In reality, due to the need to keep your fins submerged throughout the entire stroke, it makes no practical difference in terms of drag whether you are on your front or back.
It's been a while since I did a face-down surface swim, though I do seem to remember having this problem. I might just try it again anyway to verify. Perhaps slightly angled up trim helps?

Back
Top Bottom