Pre-1989 AL tank exchange program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An AL80 weighs about 34 lbs. Current scrap prices for aluminum approach $1/ lbs in some areas with $.70-.80 easily achieved for prepared material.

That makes a scrap AL 80 worth about $25.

Tobin

will pass along the information thanks.

cool_hardware52:
An AL80 weighs about 34 lbs. Current scrap prices for aluminum approach $1/ lbs in some areas with $.70-.80 easily achieved for prepared material.

That makes a scrap AL 80 worth about $25.

Tobin

Not so apparently in the North East. John claims that they are only worth $10!

Tobin is correct however. My neighbor runs a scrapyard and I called him.

Methinks John protesteth too much. No altruistic intentions here.

I just have one question for those who refuse to fill bottles for saftey reasons.

Why do you fill bottles without having a Fragmentation station? :confused:

While some tanks many be more prone to fail, any tank can fail. I have never seen a dive shop with any type of fragmentaion station, but I have seen a lot of places start to refuse to fill bottles for "saftey." If you want to fill bottles in a safe mannor, then purchase the saftey eqipment needed to fill tanks, dont just pick and choose on alloy type and have a false sense of saftey. :no

I got an explosion proof fill station ..........Its awesome!!! In IL in about 3 years or so it will be mandatory.....That still doesnt mean I want a tank to blow up....I still want to be safe....this is just safer :D

clydejr:
I just have one question for those who refuse to fill bottles for saftey reasons.

Why do you fill bottles without having a Fragmentation station?

What would you consider adequate protection?

Would you want to see that as a requirement for all fill stations, perhaps mandated by the government?

I believe he risk from 6351 tanks is small, but each fill station operator should be free to make his own decisions regarding alloys, acceptable VIP's, O2 cleaning, etc.

It is worthwhile to remember that the tanks in question are 1988 and older. Most of the tanks in question are ~20 years old. Should any fill station operator be required to either take the risk, however small, of filling a tank, or be required to build a "bunker" to contain the blast for a population of aging tanks that gets smaller everyday?

I don't have a commercial fill station. I am building a fill station for my own use. My rules are pretty simple, no 6351 tanks. If somebody gets upset because they don't get a free fill on a 20 year old tank I can deal with it.

Tobin

What I find is interesting is that more steel tanks have catastopically failed than aluminum tanks, but they will fill and even overfill a steel while old aluminum cylinders are "unsafe". On a pure pecentage basis it is more dangerous to fill a steel cylinder than an aluminum one.

Many of the luxfer tanks were sold with a lifetime warranty. If Luxfer says the old tank is still safe, and the dealer SELLS LUXFER tanks now, then the shop/dealer should either give me a brand new (free) luxfer tank or fill the old one that has been hydroed..Damn it. Or luxfer should prevent them from being a current dealer.

Of course this didn't work at the shop I go to either.. It's kinda like General Motors providing you a warranty and then when you go to the chevy dealer with a problem they say that they are not honoring the warranty anymore (and continue to sell new GM cars).

Why is there no class action lawsuit against luxfer for this?

I had like 15 tanks and this little deal cost me a lot.

...sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom