Prayer is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty funny how this thread has gone all around the initial post and very few have posed much consideration to the premise of prayer "working". Rick had a good example above and I have personally seen someone have a dramatic physical change for the better after prayer. I've seen it work, so I know that it can.

Someone asked what is faith? "The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"

00scuba:
if you are told you have a limited time to live.....and have a disease where there is no known help...what do you do?
Short answer: pray
I would enlist the support of my family, church, and believing friends to pray that God would heal me of the disease. I would also make sure that my house was in order to minimize the impact to my family and friends. I know that when I leave this body I will be in a better place, but I'm not going to hasten that transition.

00scuba:
To the religious......

if you are told you have a limited time to live.....and have a disease where there is no known help...what do you do?

anyone...chime in. I don't want to limit this

Live the life of the 1970s Keith Richards....

Religion or lack thereof, serves a very strong influence in our daily lives. I sat on the steps of the “Rock of the Dome” and could not imagine how important this small piece of land has been to so many people for centuries whether Jewish, Christian, or Moslem. No matter what you perceive the Supreme Being to be, every religious body has one. - God, Jehova, Allah, Budda, Haile Selassie, or even Chango.

I do not imagine that just because I get on my knees and pray for it, divine intervention will help me win the lottery. However, I do believe that in times of intense hardship and personal distress prayer brings the most important element in overcoming adversity – HOPE!

I have a personal interest in the friend with the brain tumor that Rick talked about. In one night she was the subject of prayers by Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, and Moslem friends. Her father is a minister and so is her brother. In fact, her entire family is filled with clergy and missionaries.

During all of this, the most impressive and wonderful words that I heard were spoken by Rick’s daughter who was shift supervisor in Jackson Emergency Room. When she realized who was in the ambulance she yelled, “Stand back, this is Scuba Family!” Absolute drama like one would only see in the movies unfolded as skilled hands and marvelous equipment aided in diagnosis and definitive treatment. Once the body is stable, then reality sets into the mind.

The strength and hope that not only prayer, but support that the “Scuba Family” offered was priceless. You know them, those folks that share a common interest that you take for granted on a day to day basis. But when adversity strikes they’re there. They offer food, flowers, visits, and most important – their PRAYERS. Her father, an executive in the state convention, told his colleagues, “You know Jim, we in religion could learn from this Scuba Family. These folks really care for each other, they love each other. I’ve never seen a group so tightly knit – they are a REAL family.”

You ask if prayer helps – well yes it does. It offers hope and strength and the will to continue. Aside from the support of family and friends, nothing on Earth is as powerful as that.

As the old year ended and life was beginning to settle down, we didn’t know what to expect or what more to ask for as the New Year dawned. Here is my prayer for that most important time:
(Whatever you choose to call the center of your faith can be substituted for Heavenly Father.}

Heavenly Father

Creator of us - and of the sea which we love – that endless water that bonds us together in eternal friendship.

As I travel through life you have given me the wisdom to know that all my journeys cannot be on a trailing sea. All my skies cannot be blue.

You have also given me the insight that I have no control over the elements or of my destiny.

In the coming year please give me the courage to accept that I cannot change the wind but please grant your hand, your strength, your guidance in helping me adjust the sails.

Amen

00scuba:
To the religious......

anyone...chime in. I don't want to limit this

First of all, I'm not religious, but I am a Christian. Ok, what would I do?

I would make sure I was right with God. He would be the first one I would talk to. Then I would make sure that my wife and kids would be ok and that we talked about it and talked about it (and talked about it some more). Nothing left unsaid. Throughout the time left we would pray for healing, but also pray for strength and peace in case healing isn't the plan. Then I would have an occasional Spaten Optimator with my wife and be thankful for what I had.

BTW, my wife just mentioned that " a disease with a limited time to live" is the diagnosis of mankind. But there is help.

-Bill

I once was helping a guy who fell over in the street suffering a very heavy epileptic seizure and got a bad cut in his face in the fall as well. The outdoor temp was 0 F, so while waiting for the ambulance I had to cover him up while at the same time make sure he was stabilized and could breathe well. He was unconcious.

And there out of the clouds, he came. The prayer... And he wasn't happy with doing his work on a distance, but preferred the full-contact version by putting his firm grip over the poor guy's face. Really hard... My pretty clear words about getting the heck out of there had no effect. Neither had his prayer. So on his third attempt to suffocate our guy I knocked the prayer out with a pretty well placed punch on the nose.

The moral of this story?

Pray if you want to, but don't get in my way!

bedmund:
First of all, I'm not religious, but I am a Christian. Ok, what would I do?

I would make sure I was right with God. He would be the first one I would talk to. Then I would make sure that my wife and kids would be ok and that we talked about it and talked about it (and talked about it some more). Nothing left unsaid. Throughout the time left we would pray for healing, but also pray for strength and peace in case healing isn't the plan. Then I would have an occasional Spaten Optimator with my wife and be thankful for what I had.

BTW, my wife just mentioned that " a disease with a limited time to live" is the diagnosis of mankind. But there is help.

-Bill

Well said! I would only add that I would look forward to the one I was finally going to meet face to face.

Although I must admit I have no idea what a Spaten Optimator is :huh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom