Prayer is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
It is a rather mute point as nobody will ever know the answer...
Certainly not if we chose to believe what we like rather than investigate. The world can sit on the back of a giant tortoise all day long, until we discover there is no tortoise.

just a few quick thoughts: no one can prove or disprove the existence of God.
by his/her/its very nature, God can not be proven or disproven. talking about it is
futile. you either believe or you don't.

i found prayer of mixed use. a few times, things got worse, a few times, they
got better. most of the time, i couldn't tell much of a difference.

personally, i decided to stop talking to myself and calling it something else.

jepuskar:
If god created the universe than who created god? God can not just merely exist, he had to come from somewhere. By the way, isnt the bible man made?
Green, if you question how this world could just sprang into existence...how could you not question how your god came to be?

It is a rather mute point as nobody will ever know the answer...we can't even get the facts straight about what happened a minute ago let alone billions of years ago.

Those are EXACTLY the kind of questions I have had. I'm the scientific type, so a simple "God has always existed" isn't enough for me. That doesn't mean I can't believe in God. It just means I am more satisfied with saying "Something set us/the world/the universe in motion, but I don't know what it was." Existence is a subject I can't fully comprehend.

Lisa0825:
It just means I am more satisfied with saying "Something set us/the world/the universe in motion, but I don't know what it was."

well, that is basically my position. anything pre-BigBang is outside our
ability to know...

and of that which you don't know, say nothing

(i REALLY should heed this advice more often)

:wink:

Lisa0825:
Those are EXACTLY the kind of questions I have had. I'm the scientific type, so a simple "God has always existed" isn't enough for me. That doesn't mean I can't believe in God. It just means I am more satisfied with saying "Something set us/the world/the universe in motion, but I don't know what it was." Existence is a subject I can't fully comprehend.

That's why I take the low road...Exodus 3:14.

I am. Are you?

But them I'm a Gnostic.

jepuskar:
If god created the universe than who created god? God can not just merely exist, he had to come from somewhere. By the way, isnt the bible man made?
Green, if you question how this world could just sprang into existence...how could you not question how your god came to be?

It is a rather mute point as nobody will ever know the answer...we can't even get the facts straight about what happened a minute ago let alone billions of years ago.

The Atheist Test
I don't believe in atheists. This isn't because I haven't met people who claim the title, but because such a person cannot be. Let's imagine that you are a professing atheist. I will ask you two questions: First, do you know the combined weight of all the sand on all the beaches of Hawaii? I think I can safely assume that you don't. This brings us to the second question: Do you know how many hairs are on the back of a fully grown male Tibetan yak? Probably not. I think, therefore, that it is reasonable for me to conclude that there are some things you don't know. It is important to ask these questions because there are some people who think they know everything.

Let's say that you know an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. To know 100 percent, you would have to know everything. There wouldn't be a rock in the universe that you would not be intimately familiar with, or a grain of sand that you would not be aware of. You would know everything that has happened in history, from that which is common knowledge to the minor details of the secret love life of Napoleon's great-grandmother's black cat's fleas. You would know every hair of every head, and every thought of every heart. All history would be laid out before you, because you would be omniscient (all-knowing).

Bear in mind that one of the greatest scientists who ever lived, Thomas Edison, said, "We do not know a millionth of one percent about anything." Let me repeat: Let's say that you have an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. Would it be possible, in the ninety-nine percent of the knowledge that you haven't yet come across, that there might be ample evidence to prove the existence of God? If you are reasonable, you will be forced to admit that it is possible. Somewhere, in the knowledge you haven't yet discovered, there could be enough evidence to prove that God does exist.
Ray Comfort

I asked someone at work what faith meant to them, or how they could explain it. THis person is very religious and was raised and is a practicing catholic. She said "to put it simply, its like being at a traffic light...knowing that when its red,people will stop and its safe for the green to go...that is faith"

well....i am not sure about that....i always look even if its green....and make my own decision about going....lol

TheDivingPreacher:
Would it be possible, in the ninety-nine percent of the knowledge that you haven't yet come across, that there might be ample evidence to prove the existence of God?

it's possible. but it does me no good, does it?

it's also possible that there might not be.

my point is not "it's impossible for God to exist."

my point is, "you can't prove God exists, by his/her/its very nature."

jepuskar:
It is a rather mute point as nobody will ever know the answer....

Everyone who has ever died knows the answer. Or knows nothing. We all will see eventually.

Either there is a God or there isn't. Both possibilities are frightening! Either there is a Creator before whom we must all one day stand, or we are flying through space at thousands of miles per hour and no one is in charge. :06:

I believe a near quote from Stephen Gould, Atheist)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom