PRAM finished!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....interesting, I've never actually seen anyone use one of the double hoses 'in public', so it would be neat to see someone using it at the Flower Gardens, or whereever. I'm kinda used to Seacure mouthpieces though, and I've seen the vintage mouthpieces and I don't think I'd be super happy using those, too bad someone hasn't 'modernized' at least that aspect of it.

I have found that the mouthpiece does not really matter much with the double hose reg as you do not have to hold the mouthpiece with your teeth. The buoyancy of the hoses pulls the mouthpiece into your mouth so even if you do not hold on to the piece it will still stay in your mouth.

Here I'm at about 110 on the SS Grecian South of Block Island with my PRAM. This reg has also done the complete trip from forward torpedo tubes to aft tubs inside of the U-853.

I'v also had my Mistral at 100-110 on the SS Volund in the Race.

PeteBW.jpg

.....interesting, I've never actually seen anyone use one of the double hoses 'in public', so it would be neat to see someone using it at the Flower Gardens, or whereever. I'm kinda used to Seacure mouthpieces though, and I've seen the vintage mouthpieces and I don't think I'd be super happy using those, too bad someone hasn't 'modernized' at least that aspect of it.
I am planning on taking mine to the Bahamas in June.

It tends to be my go to single tank reg, but I don't use it cave diving due to gas sharing and primary reg donation issues.

It is true the original straight USD Kleer-Ez design was a bit wide, but the original Voit design was much closer to normal mouthpiece proportions. There are a few new reproduction mouthpiece options now. Both the USD straight and Voit mouthpieces are available in as reproduction items made from silicone and the Voit (the grey one) is very comfortable. Both of them also come in black, grey and green (and the straight design is also available in yellow) to match different vintage hose colors (and new reproduction hoses are also available.)

A vintage option is the Hope-Page non return valve assembly that will accommodate a regular mouthpiece. The bad news is that they are hard to find.

Attachments

• mouthpieces2.jpg
    mouthpieces2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 58
MY Phoenix had been to 130 ft on the Speigal Grove once, on the deck of it several times, 100ft on Theo's Wreck in the Bahamas and to 100 ft in Bonaire on several occasions, including a few weeks ago. No reason not to dive it to any depth you like.

You mean like this:

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

Spiegal Grove.

N

Here's our qualification dive, at 120 feet off Key West in 1967 on the DA Aquamaster.

Meansonthebottom100footdive.jpg

Airman Bob Means at 120 feet, U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers, 1967.

SeaRat

Voits are just prettier than my RAM:

DSCF0002-1.jpg

N

A few more photos:

If you look closely at the first PRAM photo you can see the reflection of one of the border collies I've been fostering.

Attachments

• phoenix1.JPG
    phoenix1.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 55
  • phoenix2.JPG
    phoenix2.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 56
  • RAM1.JPG
    RAM1.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 58
  • RAM2.JPG
    RAM2.JPG