PRAM finished!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halocline

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my PRAM and RAM chromed and back together, they look great! I borrowed a camera and tried to take some photos, but they turned out horrible with the flash; this is the only one that even comes close to looking like the reg. I'm still waiting on a yoke label and round label for the RAM. I'd love some suggestions on how to get good photos of the shiny chrome without the camera creating so much glare. Is it as simple as not using the flash, and if so, I guess I have to figure out how to turn the flash off.

Attachments

• P2140004.jpg
    P2140004.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 150
Looks like you are in high cotton. N

Mattboy,

Three suggestions on the photography:
--Take the regulators outside and use natural lighting. When you meter the camera, don't do it off the regulator's chromed finish. Do the metering of a neutral gray card or a gray part of the background.
--Use the "exposure compensation" feature on your camera.
--If you are doing strobe photography inside, try using a cord to remove the strobe from the camera. This way, the strobe light will come from one side, and not reflect directly into the camera.

We look forward to more photos of your regs.

SeaRat

Thanks John, but I think your suggestions are a few steps above my camera skills. I'll try outside in the sunlight and see how that does.

BTW, it's impossible to tell in the photo, but that's a kidde "bump bottom" LP72, no boot. I stripped the amazingly ugly orange paint off and put a couple of coats of ZRC over the original galvanizing.

Metering??? I haven't used a hand held meter in over twenty years. No need to either. Even my Minolta SRT 101 had a meter in it. I inherited that from my father who bought it in'71. Take your pictures at about a 45 degree angle from your light source. Your problem is light being bounced right back to the camera. Try taking a flash picture of yourself in the mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Or you can use existing light, but again, if your light source is strong, like the sun, make your image at an angle to it. You'll be much happier with the result.

The PRAM is a great regulator by the way. I have one from the first run and I have been diving it for three years. It has been in Lake Michigan, Florida and under the ice in several locations. It keeps going when much more modern and more expensive regs fail. Here is a video I did from an ice dive in Lake Wazee, Black Rivers Falls Wisconsin last year. A friend shot the topside stuff and I did all the rest.

Wazee Under Ice on Vimeo

Nice reg. I hesitate to rechrome mine, I would hate to scratch it after the master chromer has done his work...... now get on the phone and make Sand Dog reservations so you can show it off in person.

Jim, wonderful videos (yes, I watched the one on the DivAir too). Thanks for sharing.

John

Looks great but it will probably breath better with a few scratches.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom