PRAM build...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got a DAAM, I've got a new in the box Phoenix first stage to go on it...
But I have questions.
I'd really like to find a parts diagram for this configuration. It looks like the phoenix wants a different pin.
I popped apart my RAM, which has a longer pin but it also appears to be the incorrect size for the phoenix.

It's entirely possible the pin was originally with the phoenix, and it just got lost.
If someone has the good manuals or even just ths part number, I'd be grateful.

From Bryan at VDH,
If you are doing the assembly, setup and install of the Phoenix nozzle yourself I would recommend the overall length of the pin to be 1.30 to 1.31 inches for proper operation.

When you trim the pin be sure the end you cut is square and the sharp edge is smoothed down slightly. Measure twice.....Cut once.....Take your time.

That's helpful.. but where do I get the pin? I'm thinking maybe the original (if it was included) fell out of the box sometime before I purchased it.

Dude what's that in there

Screenshot (955).png

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

Yeah, mine is missing the brass mushroom (aka pin guide) and the pin that goes into it.
1699885398763.png

Yeah, mine is missing the brass mushroom (aka pin guide) and the pin that goes into it.
View attachment 810515
I do have a pin pad and a pin (out of a Conshelf). The pad will definately be good for you, but the pin is 1 inch... I don't own a Phoenix to cross check it, but I can send it to you to try if you want.

DM me an address and I'll try to get it in the mail today.

Respectfully,

James

The pin for a Phoenix is 1.3 inches approximate. I custom cut mine such that the HP seat is fully open just as the mushroom finds home on the face of the assembly. If the pin is too long, even a little bit, it can put stress on the components and even ejecting the innards (pushing the circlip out of the groove) or binding or even bending the pin. And someone may pop in saying that cannot happen and all I can say is whatever. The pin is rather long and unsupported for that length, longer than a Conshelf or any AL product I know of, therefore it needs to be exactly the right length for your Phoenix parts stack up for best results.

Measure the pin diameter, I think it is stainless steel 12 gauge rod. MacMaster has it. Cut it, polish the ends to a smooth round shape. Go dive.

Rob at the Scuba Museum might have some pins in stock.

I put this on VSS but I'll post here too.

The Phoenix should have come complete with a pin, pad, gaskets and all of the internal parts (the internal parts are the same as a Conshelf or Titan so those are available), if you didn't get them, you will have to. Most of the stuff from a Titan or Conshelf will work but NOT the pin, depending on model, it's possible not the pad either- there are a couple models. If you have all the internals, the pins and pin pads are obtainable. The pins are custom size (not an off the shelf item)and are hardened stainless steel so DO NOT substitute just any pin, that is asking for problems. The only replacements I am aware of are off the shelf SS pins that must be cut to length. DO NOT try to cut them with pliers or a saw, they are hardened and will damage the pliers and/or the pin. You must cut them with a Dremel cutoff wheel or small grinder then tweak the length. I'm pretty sure I have the pin length written down somewhere if you need it. When installed in the Phoenix (with all internals installed), there should be about 0.040 inch of spacing between the pin and the Phoenix face and when depressed, it should rest on the Phoenix with NO space under it.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info, I have a lot of info on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom