practiced donating today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm doing my research diving training right now at UCSB so i can dive for a lab (and hopefully get paid for it). I'm the only one there with a hog setup, everyone else just having standard setups.

Today we did some air sharing drills - both buddy breathing and octo breathing. I've only been able to dive this rig a few times in the ocean after 3 months of not diving due to the cold and me going back home in LA for winter break. I've practiced the motion of donating my primary and switching to the bungeed octo in those dives, but I never practiced with someone until today.

I told my buddy how my setup works so he knew I was going to donate my primary. We got in the pool after a short briefing and we got started. I was the 'victim' first, signaling out of air to my buddy and sharing air with him. It's been a while since I practiced any kind of air sharing, and right away I remembered how uncomfortable it was. His reg felt so 'short', and I felt like I had no choice but to keep close to keep breathing on the reg. I'm sure it'll probably be effective if I ended up panicking in a real life OOA and my buddy can calm me down easy just by keeping hold of me...but at the time it still felt so uncomfortable.

Then it was my turn to donate. The first thing I noticed was how much faster it is. No fiddling with trying to find your octo, because you know exactly where it is (in your mouth). Also, once he had it in his mouth, it felt so comfy! No tugging....plenty of hose length (although I know that's obvious). My instructor still made me hold on to the regulator though, which I guess I can understand if my buddy was in real trouble and didn't have his wits together to hold his reg in place. But then again, I can't imagine an OOA diver letting go of a donated reg. Whatever.

We did the same drills too, but we had to swim across the pool and back, switching off who was donating each way. This was even more uncomfortable, because the reg felt like it was twisting so much, I had to bite hard on it to keep it in my mouth. When it was my turn, it was much more comfortable.

After those drills though, I couldn't help to think that maybe it was because I knew exactly when my friend was gonna be out of air that I was able to deploy quickly. Would I be prepared for it if I was doing my own thing, say, counting nudibranchs in one spot, and then my buddy who went OOA went up to me and signaled OOA?

My question was answered with the next drill. Another air sharing drill, but this time, one buddy is facing the pool wall at the bottom, and the other sprints two laps at the bottom (to get tired and out of breath), then, without exhaling, has to swim to the adjacent wall where they could swim to anyone who was open. I had to do the swimming first, and MAN, being OOA and out of breath sucks :D ! LOL I have never been so thirsty for air in my life. Anyway, we then switched off so I was facing the wall. They were taking a while so my mind wandered off a bit...and then all of a sudden I get a tap on my shoulder. It was my same dive buddy who went to me for air, and sure enough I was able to quickly deploy my primary and switch to my bungeed reg.

I gotta say, I'm loving this. I appreciate this hose setup even more.

Anyway that's all, just thought I'd post my experience with it.

Francis, we practice a lot by throwing unannounced OOAs at one another during routine, simple recreational dives. You never know whether the signalled problem is a drill or a real emergency, so you respond quickly and learn that you can be very efficient in getting air to a distressed diver.

It's a great skill to keep sharp.

Hi Francis,

Thank you for the great description of the advantages of the long-hose/bungied back-up. It was wonderful to follow along with your perceptions and thoughts as the differences became apparent.

Diving for the collection of scientific data requires significant multi-tasking, and a reliable, predictable response to emergencies becomes even more important.

Thanks for describing it so clearly.

You may significantly influence other scientific divers as they experience the benefits of the long-hose configuration.

Safe diving and good data :D !

~~~~~
Claudette

In my PADI DM class we had to "learn" and practice buddy breathing. Although I'm not "allowed" to use my long hose, I can get away with a 40" hose on my primary. My buddy and I really feel/see the difference between using even the 40" hose.

Also, as part of the "stress" test, we did the full exchange of gear while buddy breathing using the 40" hose -- then we watched another pair do the same exercise using a "standard" (24"?) hose. Ours was MUCH easier!

I don't understand having a short hose on whichever reg you donate. Why in the world?

hi, thought i would try to use existing threads instead of making a new one. with a 5' or 7' primary that's wrapped below your right arm across your chest and around your neck, how do you donate it? i'm currently in the process of purchasing a BP/W (which is a hard enough in terms of picking what I want) and I started thinking about how I wanted to setup my hoses. I'm planning on bungeeing my octo (as I'm already used to donating my primary cause i had a air2 on my bcd). but i can't picture how you donate the primary with the hose wrapped around your neck. if a diver just comes and pulls the reg out of your mouth won't it jerk your head too? just can't seem to picture it.

Well, the last bit of the hose passes BEHIND your neck. So, to donate, you grab the hose next to the second stage, and duck your head. The hose slides easily up the back of your head and over. Even if you forget to duck your head, the hose will come off, but if you do it right, it's trivial.

vel525:
hi, thought i would try to use existing threads instead of making a new one. with a 5' or 7' primary that's wrapped below your right arm across your chest and around your neck, how do you donate it? i'm currently in the process of purchasing a BP/W (which is a hard enough in terms of picking what I want) and I started thinking about how I wanted to setup my hoses. I'm planning on bungeeing my octo (as I'm already used to donating my primary cause i had a air2 on my bcd). but i can't picture how you donate the primary with the hose wrapped around your neck. if a diver just comes and pulls the reg out of your mouth won't it jerk your head too? just can't seem to picture it.
Watch this video:

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/VideoGUESdrill.htm

Very good video. Donate reg with right hand, wait, ok buddy, then use right hand to free up hose slack from under light canister.

MBH:
Very good video. Donate reg with right hand, wait, ok buddy, then use right hand to free up hose slack from under light canister.

Emphasize the OOA diver, but don't delay putting your own backup reg in your mouth. Since you are a pretty limited in what you can do while basically holding your breath.

Another reason for not wanting a snorkel hanging from your mask--the possibility that it might entangle the long hose when donating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom