practice video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at the quarry yesterday for my first day of valve drill practice. I'm taking a fundamentals class in october and I'm trying to get most of this stuff down. I posted this on another site but figured I'd post here too. Tell me what you think, critique is welcome.

-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Nick! I think someone already mentioned your bag shoot in another forum so I wont go there.

The only thing I could critique is how spastic you are. I got tired watching you :p Forget the skills for a while, just work on staying in one spot without moving whatsoever. Happy feet are common and its something you need to be aware of.

Rec pass should be no problem. Tighten up those happy feet and refine your movement underwater and a tech pass out the gate is in reach.

Mark

Looks pretty good! Remember to give the backup reg a good purge before shutting down the right post. Also, when signaling (and this may be instructor specific) swing from the elbow in large strokes.

Also the shutdown order is: Right post off / on, isolator off / on, left post off / on. I believe you did the isolator, and right post concurrently.

Great job though - you'll likely do well in your class. You have the large part down, now it's just polishing. :)

I had/have the same problem. Just slow down and relax. Get your platform stable, then start the drill. If you need to reset before continuing, by all means do so.

Some minor details, but overall very good IMHO for pre-fundies.

The biggest thing I can say is - slow is fast. Slow everything down a bit, it's not a race.

Hunter

I was at the quarry yesterday for my first day of valve drill practice. I'm taking a fundamentals class in october and I'm trying to get most of this stuff down. I posted this on another site but figured I'd post here too. Tell me what you think, critique is welcome.

-Nick

My Advice would be to stop trying to practice the drills, and if you want to practice anything, look at being as stable and stationary in the water as possible. I saw a long list of little things during the valve Drill and S-drill all of which will be covered on your course, but if you keep practicing them will cause you issues trying to do differently. However if you can do stationary and stable position, then getting the drills from the class will be very easy.

HTH

John

Little things here and there, but main thing was as stated above, slow down. You looked very spastic in your movements and I think that hurt your bouyancy control as well as created the "happy feet". None of it is a race.

JohnKendall's got it. If you can hang perfectly still in the water for as long as you want, drills aren't that big a deal.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom