practice video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking the class with Ed Gabe? I think you'll do just fine. Especially if you've been diving with Duane for a while. There's nothing we can say that will help in any way compared to what you'll learn in the class.

PS, what an ugly drysuit! a red TLS with blue smurf gloves. If you change them out for some orange ones, you would totally look cool.

I am taking it with Ed Gabe. Thanks for the reassurance, I'm glad I was able to schedule the class for this season still. The dive we did in the video was a mix fun/practice dive. Basically we swam all around the shallow side of the quarry and threw in valve drills, OOG situations, etc. every so often. The SMB is small enough where you can deploy it and then pull it back down. My girlfriend said after the dive it's the most fun she's had in the quarry in a long time and I agreed.

I'm with you -- I personally think skills dives are fun, especially in the wintertime here where there is less life in the water. The key, though, is not to practice something a lot when you aren't doing it right, because I can tell you it's WAY harder to break an established habit than it is to establish a new habit. (Sports trainers really know this, too.) And rushing drills is a very bad habit that many of us acquire, so it's definitely something to nip in the bud.

Looking at the video, you look like you might be fighting your tanks a bit? Your feet are in a fairly constant motion. This is often due to being head heavy with your tanks. If you just stop and do nothing, do you fall forward? if so, try moving some of your weight lower on your rig.

Your light cord is behind your long hose. It was noticable on your air share. The light cord should be in front.

Fundamentals is a great course..... good luck.....

Looking at the video, you look like you might be fighting your tanks a bit? Your feet are in a fairly constant motion. This is often due to being head heavy with your tanks. If you just stop and do nothing, do you fall forward? if so, try moving some of your weight lower on your rig.

Your light cord is behind your long hose. It was noticable on your air share. The light cord should be in front.

Fundamentals is a great course..... good luck.....

My light cord is behind my long hose. I like having my long hose outside of it so I don't have to pass my light into my other hand on an air share. I was taught either way was permissible just to remember how it's routed. When I stow the light it gets stowed underneath the long hose. Is this incorrect? I've tried both ways and to me it makes more sense doing it like this.

I think if you keep practicing the way you are, your going ti DIE. Just wait till you take the Fundies class and learn to do it right. BTW try not to kill me and turn me into a statistic while doing it...

I'm not the one that shuts down both posts at the same time... :confused: :shakehead: :rofl3: hahahaha

My light cord is behind my long hose. I like having my long hose outside of it so I don't have to pass my light into my other hand on an air share. I was taught either way was permissible just to remember how it's routed. When I stow the light it gets stowed underneath the long hose. Is this incorrect? I've tried both ways and to me it makes more sense doing it like this.

I believe GUE standardizes on having the light cord on the outside of the long hose. I'm sure you'll be fine with either, so long as you're mindful of when the long hose gets trapped with each respective system, but you'll probably want to just keep the light cord on the outside for class.

Light cord outside of long hose for GUE classes. Big f*ing deal about clearing it after you've given gas. It's a non-issue. Doing it this way, though, means you won't have to re-route the hose each time you clip off the light head (which would become trapped if you run the light cord under the hose and don't clear it when clipping off). Seeing as we often clip off the lights, it's way more annoying having to re-route the light cord than having to deal with the smallest nuisance of clearing it after donating gas. Have fun donating if you have the hose trapped with the light cord...

Light cord outside of long hose for GUE classes. Big f*ing deal about clearing it after you've given gas. It's a non-issue. Doing it this way, though, means you won't have to re-route the hose each time you clip off the light head (which would become trapped if you run the light cord under the hose and don't clear it when clipping off). Seeing as we often clip off the lights, it's way more annoying having to re-route the light cord than having to deal with the smallest nuisance of clearing it after donating gas. Have fun donating if you have the hose trapped with the light cord...

I've been rerouting when I clip off usually. I'll start to dive with the long hose outside thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom