Powershot S100 Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knackas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Canon S100 and I am liking the Patima housing. If anyone has any experience with this housing or the company that makes them I would appreciate any advice,
Thanks Knackas.

I bought the S100 and went with the Ikelite housing. I couldn't be happier with it. I don't know anything about the Patima housing. Sorry.

Thanks Rumrunner, Ive read most of the threads on here about the S100 and the camera sounds like it will suit me. I was looking at the Recsea but after reading about the issues it has with trays I'm a bit wary about build quality, IMO something at that end of the price range should be stronger.

Yeah, it is the review on Deepshots that has got me interested in the housing and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, even if it's not with S100. A heads up on the quality of Patima I guess is what I'm looking for, any problems divers have had and any dealings with the company. I do realise they are relatively new and unknown. Thanks for the link to the review.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 07:47 AM ----------

Just spoke to the local underwater camera shop(if you can call 3000km local) who sell the Patima housing and they gave it a good rap. A few things that are a bit quirky with it as in the button operation and vignetting is more pronounced than the Recsea. After speaking with them it has me considering the Recsea once again and if anyone has any expeience with this housing I would appreciate any info you could pass on about it,
cheers Knackas

I got the RecSea housing for the S100 6 weeks ago, and have about 15 dives on it so far. So far, I am very impressed with the quality of the housing. I have not had any issues whatsoever.

Thanks Rob, good to hear about the quality of the Recsea housing. You must have a taken a few shots over the 15 dives and got a bit of a handle on the set up, how did the shots come out? Do you have any lenses for the housing?

does the patima allow rear wheel control?

Yes, both the review posted above and my local camera shop have confirmed full controls available when using the Patima housing.

I own Patima for S95 and like the housing but it also has some defaults.

It can be used as a weapon- the thing is very heavy, but this sits well with me. I like the negative buoyancy aspect but if you were to drop it handing it up on the boat, it would rocket down to the locker in no time.

The buttons on the S95 are spaced very close together. I doubt gloves could use it effectively.

All the cameras functions can be accessed.

The metal does seem soft- there is visible nicks in the housing even though reasonably careful in handling it both underwater and topside.

I would buy it again but if you're in to cold water, I'd probably look for another design.

Attachments

• bb 001.jpg
    bb 001.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 157
  • bb 002.jpg
    bb 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 145
  • bb 003.jpg
    bb 003.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 137
  • bb 004.jpg
    bb 004.jpg