Power Socket Type C or Type F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy_W

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can someone confirm the type of sockets that are usually available on the boats.

I know that they are European sockets but there are bascially 2 European sockets and it can make a big difference, especially for the multi adpaters..

There is Type C and Type F..

Basically the Type C has only 2 pins, has no earth, and is usally flat but not always, whereas the Type F has an Earthing pin and is round. A Type C wont fit into an F but a Type F will fit into a Type C.

1652170516512.png

or

1652170496883.png

Cheers

I had no problem with Type F multi adapters/plugs.
I don't think I have ever seen a type C wall plug in my life. Keep in mind I am "only" 44 yo, so they might have been a thing (long) before 1978, but not any more.

Excellent, that's good news, it means I don't have to worry about that.
I have 3 Type C adapters in my apartment, the rest are Type F, the apartments is around 30 years old though. and it might just be a French thing.

Type C outlets are super rare, but I have seen them in use, mostly as a space saving means, I have some in my house. I've only seen some adapters, But I've seen a lot of Type C plugs. However type F outlets are everywhere.

I believe you got it wrong.
C plug (prongs) will fit in a F wall outlet.
F plug can only fit F outlets. because the prongs are thicker on an F plug.

F plugs are usually used for high power devices, kettles, toasters, boilers, PCs and similar.
C plugs are usually used for lower power devices.

I usual found the F outlets where I traveled, except in Italy, which has it's own three pronged type.

Attachments

• PXL_20220510_104402447.jpg
    PXL_20220510_104402447.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi Drak,

I just tried a Type F in one of the Type C sockets , it definitely fits in without any problem.. but I see that you have one of the smaller "flat" style, quite often those which we find on lamps, type C in your hand, that style should fit in the Type F.

It's the bigger Type C round plugs, the ones that don't have the indentations on the top, bottom that don't fit into the type F.

But again it might be a French variant in my home. It wouldn't surprise me.

It's the bigger Type C round plugs, the ones that don't have the indentations on the top, bottom that don't fit into the type F.

I have never seen that kind of C plug to be honest. That definetly would not find in anything apart from a C outlet.

Only Type C's that we have here are either like this
1652182396087.png

Or like this
1652182407477.png

And an F plut can't fit them.

That's the 1st time that I have seen that type of socket.. Just goes to show how many differences there are between European countries, even though we are neighbours...
I live on the Swiss border and again it's a completely different adapter to the standard European ones...

So in my house we have Type C , Type F and Swiss plugs ( we use adapters for these though)... And since I am British I also have adapters for travelling to the UK....

2022 and we can't even have a common sockets in Europe , lol...

I'm glad I asked about the boat and I hope that I am allowed to use a multi-strip.. I've got GoPro batteries, Lighting batteries, Torch Batteries, a laptop , and a smartphone ( I won't be using this much though) to keep charged throughout the trip.....

With 26 passengers on board that must add up to a fair bit of power to generate.

My solution would be get a power bank. So you can mitigate some of the charging. I leave the powerbank to charge, and then I charge my devices off it. Depending on the trip I carry one or two powerbanks.
a 10K mAh and a 20K mAh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom