Potential liability if I let friends dive from my boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At one point in time, you were correct - if a passenger on a private boat chipped in for gas, food, etc - and the unthinkable happend - the boat owner could be held liable in the same way a commercial boat could.

The law has been modified in the sense that chipping in for gas for example does not mean you have become a commercial "vessel for hire"

Has nothing to do with the fact that the opperator/boat owner can still be sued for negligence in the event of an accident or death.

Thats why you need a big umbrella policy (I carry 3M) to protect you.

The receiving of money has nothing to do with the determination of the boatowner's liability. It only comes into play with regard to the information offered to secure the boat/yacht insurance policy. If you purposely represent your vessel as pleasure use but are in fact a commercial operation and an accident occurs coverage may be denied as a result of a material misrepresentaion. The flip side offers no issues with coverage. Jupiter31 gives sound advise with regard to the low cost and high benefit of securing a umbrella or excess liability policy....

At one point in time, you were correct - if a passenger on a private boat chipped in for gas, food, etc - and the unthinkable happend - the boat owner could be held liable in the same way a commercial boat could.

The law has been modified in the sense that chipping in for gas for example does not mean you have become a commercial "vessel for hire"

The regulation says that a "voluntary sharing of the expenses of the
voyage" is not "for hire". If you insist that your passengers chip
in, it would be "for hire".

I make a point of not taking any gas money until we get back.
Usually my buddy will get my fills afterwards.

Chuckie, methinks you are splitting hairs a tad :no:

Where in the post did it say INSIST hmmmmmm????? :confused:

It does not matter when, or if you take gas money - before the trip, 20 miles out, or later or never - so long as its "voluntary" you are OK - the law is written so that a true charter cannot get around the insurance and other regulations and say thay are a private boat. :D

Still in a sense does not matter - :deadhorse:I've beaten the insurance issue to death and that to me is the key if you are going to invite friends to dive from your own (private) boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom