post pics of how you secure your can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im intersted to see close up pics of how a can light is secured on the waist in a dir compliant way, i see folks saying its secured by a buckle but is that the one on your harness already or a second one? it would fall off after being threaded with nothing to hold it when you go to put your rig on right? *doh*:confused:

Sorry, I don't have pictures, but here's what I do: There's a triglide about 4" from the plate on my right-hand waist strap. Canister is threaded onto the waist strap until it hits the triglide. Then a spare buckle is threaded onto the waist strap and closed. This keeps the canister from sliding off the waist strap if the rig is moved. The free end of the right-hand waist strap is still available to pass through the buckle on the end of the left-hand strap.

scubajohn921:
i see folks saying its secured by a buckle but is that the one on your harness already or a second one?

A second buckle secures your canister.

TSandM:
Sorry, I don't have pictures, but here's what I do: There's a triglide about 4" from the plate on my right-hand waist strap. Canister is threaded onto the waist strap until it hits the triglide. Then a spare buckle is threaded onto the waist strap and closed. This keeps the canister from sliding off the waist strap if the rig is moved. The free end of the right-hand waist strap is still available to pass through the buckle on the end of the left-hand strap.

This is exactly how I secure my canister.

What's the tri-glide for?

PerroneFord:
What's the tri-glide for?

If it goes all the way to the backplate, you can't reach it to turn it on and off.

Unless you're Andrew "the Gibbon" Gorgitizzzzeeesss. Dude can turn off post #3 with his right hand. AG and Kevin Mchale should have their own USO tour.

---
Ken

LOL, and there it is! Depending on which light I'm using, I can reach the switch. Never even thought about putting something there to keep it from running all the way back.

Is it a faux pas to have your dive buddy turn on your light if you can't reach the switch? I prefer runnnig my light all the way back as it is SOLID against the backplate and not floppy.

PerroneFord:
LOL, and there it is! Depending on which light I'm using, I can reach the switch. Never even thought about putting something there to keep it from running all the way back.

Is it a faux pas to have your dive buddy turn on your light if you can't reach the switch? I prefer runnnig my light all the way back as it is SOLID against the backplate and not floppy.

But I'm a photographer - I turn it on and off all the time throughout the dive. Octo's hate it. Nudi's don't care. Fishies are OK until the beam swings by, then I've lost the shot. I gotta be able to reach it and turn it on and off.

I use a Salvo 21.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
But I'm a photographer - I turn it on and off all the time throughout the dive. Octo's hate it. Nudi's don't care. Fishies are OK until the beam swings by, then I've lost the shot. I gotta be able to reach it and turn it on and off.

I use a Salvo 21.
Ken, I just got me a Salvo 21 too. :D Do you worry at all about shortening the bulb life with frequent on/off cycles? Or do you keep it on at least a few minutes, and keep it off 5 min or so every time you cycle it? I was under the impression that frequent on/off cycles are pretty tough on HIDs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom