Post-pandemic comeback? Not yet! The dive industry is still crashing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just what is the minimum wage in Washington state?
$15 now, but the greatest rise has happened since 2016 where it was around $10. The problem is that tuition has increased faster, and even worse is rent. Thank largely due to Bezos's Amholes, rent is absolutely crazy today.

$15 now, but the greatest rise has happened since 2016 where it was around $10. The problem is that tuition has increased faster, and even worse is rent. Thank largely due to Bezos's Amholes, rent is absolutely crazy today.
Because of massive amounts of dollars available for education tuition will continue to go up faster than anything. But Washington's minimum wage is not $15. It is $15.74. And I have to make some serious decisions on which of my less capable employees should still be employed.

Because of massive amounts of dollars available for education tuition
Please explain. Tuition has gone up, state funding for higher education has gone down.
But Washington's minimum wage is not $15. It is $15.74.
rounding error. You need to remember that the living expenses for BFE parts of Washington state are MUCH lower than in metropolitan areas. Where is the closest four year university to you?
And I have to make some serious decisions on which of my less capable employees should still be employed.
that's your business decision. You need to decide as a business owner whether it is better for you to do the work yourself or by employees.

Because of massive amounts of dollars available for education tuition will continue to go up faster than anything. But Washington's minimum wage is not $15. It is $15.74. And I have to make some serious decisions on which of my less capable employees should still be employed.
Meh. Country-wide, unemployment is only 3.5%, Washington State is 4%. There are over 130,000 openings in Washington.
I don’t expect them to have any trouble finding something above minimum wage.

the real concern, though, is your ability to pay an extra 6 bits. You’re riding a pretty narrow rail there, and I’m not too sure you’ll make it. I personally don’t know anyone that will even get up in the morning for $15.

Please explain. Tuition has gone up, state funding for higher education has gone down.

rounding error. You need to remember that the living expenses for BFE parts of Washington state are MUCH lower than in metropolitan areas. Where is the closest four year university to you?

that's your business decision. You need to decide as a business owner whether it is better for you to do the work yourself or by employees.
Please show me the figures for Washington State that show total expenditures for higher education dropping.

Rounding error on your part. It would round to $16.

On my part, in my business I have to make the decision to have less minimum wage employees and to have more above minimum wage. The more experienced ones are a better buy in what they produce. The less experienced ones will never get the chance to improve themselves.

Meh. Country-wide, unemployment is only 3.5%, Washington State is 4%. There are over 130,000 openings in Washington.
I don’t expect them to have any trouble finding something above minimum wage.

the real concern, though, is your ability to pay an extra 6 bits. You’re riding a pretty narrow rail there, and I’m not too sure you’ll make it. I personally don’t know anyone that will even get up in the morning for $15.
You know many resort instructors

Please show me the figures for Washington State that show total expenditures for higher education dropping.
Rounding error on your part. It would round to $16.
If you make $140,700 per year, do you say you make $140K or $141. This is a silly point to belabor
On my part, in my business I have to make the decision to have less minimum wage employees and to have more above minimum wage. The more experienced ones are a better buy in what they produce. The less experienced ones will never get the chance to improve themselves.
I didn't make sense of what you wrote, but it is your business. Wages are a cost to do business, same as equipment, supplies, etc.. If raising minimum wage means you are losing money from that employee, then you have really tight margins.

Not one of them gets out of bed for $15 an hour.
They do it for far less?

In Croatia 15 bucks per hour is considered a great wage, I worked some construction for half that and most people with their free college education make way less. Closer to 15 a day. Weird how the standards differ.

They do it for far less?

In Croatia 15 bucks per hour is considered a great wage, I worked some construction for half that and most people with their free college education make way less. Closer to 15 a day.
In Greece, most dive pros work for 5 Euros an hour. My Google searches showed that minimum wage there is 4.28 Euros.

When I was working for a shop, I earning less than minimum wage, but I did it to develop my programs.

Back
Top Bottom