Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're talking about US regulations here anyway. No reason a Mexican LOB would have to change unless Mexico also created a similar regulation. That said, one would hope that eventually passengers would come to demand safer charging systems and so boats from other countries might do something to improve safety.
There are Mexican liveaboards?
The Nautilus is not MX, wasn't built in Mexico and isn't run by a Mexican company. She was built in China and has a Canadian captain. And probably has the absolute safest and most conscientious diving LOB boat and crew on the planet right now.

How something reasonable will trickle to SE Asia and the red sea is more debatable

The Nautilus is not MX, wasn't built in Mexico and isn't run by a Mexican company. She was built in China and has a Canadian captain. And probably has the absolute safest and most conscientious diving LOB boat and crew on the planet right now.

How something reasonable will trickle to SE Asia and the red sea is more debatable
My mistake, I assumed it was Mexican because of the location.

The Explorer was built in Canada, don't know about the Belle Amie, UnderSea, or Gallant Lady

Took a look at your link. From that, " Mandates safety standards for the handling and storage of phones, cameras and other electronic devices with lithium ion batteries."

It often pays to read the fine print when the legislature has been in session. What are the specifics? If they start treating everyone's smart phones like they're time bombs... Are they regulating how phones and cameras are kept on the boat? Even when not on chargers?

Congress doesn't write these details. They don't have the expertise - which is spread throughout dozens of industries and thousands of people.

The USCG would develop draft regulations, which would be published in the federal register and they would be obligated to take public comment on those regulations. In this case they are likely to get comments from boat builders, the American Boat and Yacht Council, DEMA type trade associations, operators, divers, electricians, pretty much anybody with an interest. Then they would publish final regulations - that process typically takes a few years.

Congress doesn't write these details. They don't have the expertise - which is spread throughout dozens of industries and thousands of people.

The USCG would develop draft regulations, which would be published in the federal register and they would be obligated to take public comment on those regulations. In this case they are likely to get comments from boat builders, the American Boat and Yacht Council, DEMA type trade associations, operators, divers, electricians, pretty much anybody with an interest. Then they would publish final regulations - that process typically takes a few years.
If USCG is in any way similar to the FAA then the comment period is just a useless formality to placate the masses. The comments aren't actually used to form policy.

The Explorer was built in Canada, don't know about the Belle Amie, UnderSea, or Gallant Lady
Pretty sure the Nautilus Explorer was built in China, to SOLAS standards, and then imported to Canada . Mike talked about that process when I was aboard in 2001.

ps he hired his own surveyor to oversee that construction, its not like he wasn't involved in the build

Pretty sure the Nautilus Explorer was built in China, to SOLAS standards, and then imported to Canada . Mike talked about that process when I was aboard in 2001.

ps he hired his own surveyor to oversee that construction, its not like he wasn't involved in the build
You may be correct, website says built in Canada
upload_2020-12-7_15-56-23.png

This seems to imply Belle Amie and UnderSea also built in Canada or the US, don't know about the Gallant Lady
upload_2020-12-7_16-0-16.png

I believe Explorer, Belle Amie, and UnderSea flagged in Vanuatu. I think Nautilus is a Canadian company.

I was on the Explorer in May 2019, thought very highly of the boat and the crew :)

You may be correct, website says built in Canada
View attachment 628972

This seems to imply Belle Amie and UnderSea also built in Canada or the US, don't know about the Gallant Lady
View attachment 628975

I believe Explorer, Belle Amie, and UnderSea flagged in Vanuatu. I think Nautilus is a Canadian company.

I was on the Explorer in May 2019, thought very highly of the boat and the crew :)
Can anyone clarify "which" safety rules apply to a vessel? Is it based on registration, ownership or geographical location of operation?

Flag of convenience - Wikipedia

geographical location of operation?
This. The rules the vessel operates under are determined by the host country. Maybe. Sometimes the rules are set by the flag country.

Last Indonesian LOB, I was aboard had a strict rule about not charging in your room. I don't recall each particular because I don't do the camera thing.

In any event, I wasn't too be charging anything in my absence or during sleep.

There is a big camera area and there were rules for that area as well. Unfortunately, I'm not able to recount what they may have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom