Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I’ve done:

Replaced all the smoke/CO detectors in my house as they we past their expiry dates.

General Comment: it isn’t just generic removable batteries that are an issue. Built in OEM batteries can be an issue. Doubters can google Boeing 787 Battery Fire or Samsung Note Battery Fire.

Also lots of lithium batteries to be recharged not related to cameras. Start the list with my Suunto Eon Core dive computer.

We’re the batteries and devices ever found and forensically tested?
Unlikely. When fire contacts lithium batteries, they combust violently. When water contacts lithium batteries, they combust violently. When lithium batteries experience physical damage, they combust violently. When lithium batteries overheat during charging, they combust violently.

They're probably burned up somewhere in/around the wreck but I doubt anyone could determine the reason they combusted violently. Maybe I'm wrong.

P.S. I'm not "against" lithium batteries in any way. They're the best we currently have for portable energy storage. I don't see them going anywhere until we invent something better (in most/all ways). Just as I am careful with gasoline, I'm careful with my lithium batteries.

Some of the tabloid sites have decided the batteries were the cause. However, other sources just stated the facts; that lithium batteries could very well be the cause but we'll never know for sure.

As long as we get tighter regulations surrounding the care for lithium on boats, some good will come from the tragedy.

Unlikely. When fire contacts lithium batteries, they combust violently. When water contacts lithium batteries, they combust violently. When lithium batteries experience physical damage, they combust violently. When lithium batteries overheat during charging, they combust violently.

They're probably burned up somewhere in/around the wreck but I doubt anyone could determine the reason they combusted violently. Maybe I'm wrong.
But so far they are the best battery type available, the mitigation of charging accidents is, in my opinion, the best change that can be made for LOB safety. A dedicated charging area that can significantly reduce the fire spread in case of one of those violent events would be one of the first boat improvements I would look for. Maybe require a crew member presence wile thing charge or maybe having a crew member only allowed to run the charging station, so long as it a fire safe area, this conception disaster has shown that you can’t always rely on the crew especially when years separate the accidents.

But so far they are the best battery type available, the mitigation of charging accidents is, in my opinion, the best change that can be made for LOB safety. A dedicated charging area that can significantly reduce the fire spread in case of one of those violent events would be one of the first boat improvements I would look for. Maybe require a crew member presence wile thing charge or maybe having a crew member only allowed to run the charging station, so long as it a fire safe area, this conception disaster has shown that you can’t always rely on the crew especially when years separate the accidents.

Turning it off when crew isn't present would mean you would require crew there 24/7. The better option is unless there is someone present the door should be closed and in case someone forgets use some sort of latch system where the door closes automatically if fire is detected.

Many commercial buildings already use similar system for their fire doors.

I completely agree. Lithium is important, and you simply need to be careful with it. I think the fact that it is so ubiquitous has lead people to believe that special care isn't necessary. Pretty much anything currently manufactured today that requires batteries is going to use lithium. There may be some outliers for special use cases. Cell phones, laptops, PLB's, lights, children's toys, you name it.

Turning it off when crew isn't present would mean you would require crew there 24/7. The better option is unless there is someone present the door should be closed and in case someone forgets use some sort of latch system where the door closes automatically if fire is detected.

Many commercial buildings already use similar system for their fire doors.

I was thinking you could have a "locking handle" on the door that removed the power source from everything inside the box when not locked. Simple, and likely effective. Except for that one jerk that leaves the door open after removing his cell phone thus screwing everyone else on the boat.

I was thinking you could have a "locking handle" on the door that removed the power source from everything inside the box when not locked. Simple, and likely effective. Except for that one jerk that leaves the door open after removing his cell phone thus screwing everyone else on the boat.

That will cause issues, chargers don't like to be restarted and stopped often. And sometimes I need to get the positioning correct with some finicky chargers.

Some of the tabloid sites have decided the batteries were the cause. However, other sources just stated the facts; that lithium batteries could very well be the cause but we'll never know for sure.

As long as we get tighter regulations surrounding the care for lithium on boats, some good will come from the tragedy.

The best standard of care has been in use on ships for centuries; A sailor on watch. Whether it was lithium batteries or scullery grease, the best way to prevent full blown conflagrations is early detection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom