Post cold congestion issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derelict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a cold from Tuesday till the following week Friday. Ten days. Did two shore dives Saturday and two boat dives on Sunday (36m and 9m), with no drama.

Then Monday the eustachian tube on my left side is blocked. Cleared up by Wednesday, when I did a quick 15 minutes gear test dive, and Thursday having issues with the tube again. Now usually I can equalise the left side with jaw movements and inhaling through my nose, and when using valsalva it's always the first side to equalise.

I've also probably made it worse by attempting to equalise and having that screeching, squeaking sound as if the tube is blocked. But I can't seem to control myself :p I've used some sudafed and I've been taking ibuprofen for another issue. No pain other than a bit of discomfort from the forceful attempts at equalising.

Bloody congestion! It's the first time I've had a cold since I started diving, how long can this last? Or should I go see a doctor about a potential ear infection?

I find that using a Netipot for sinus rinses really helps to relieve congestion and seems to shorten the duration of a head cold. I hesitated to try it at first because it seemed weird but my ENT doctor kept advising me to use one because I am prone to sinus infections. But after a couple of dive trips that were compromised by colds, congestion, and ear infections I became a believer. It's cheap and easy and drug-free so give it a try!

It's useful to think about a cold as 'spraining' your upper respiratory system. Things swell up and get 'touchy'. Just like a sprain the healing can depend on how bad it was, AND how much you abuse it before it's healed.

It's useful to think about a cold as 'spraining' your upper respiratory system. Things swell up and get 'touchy'. Just like a sprain the healing can depend on how bad it was, AND how much you abuse it before it's healed.
We have salt saunas down here, I've been tempted to get in there and see if it makes a difference.

I went for a dive last night and my ears are all good today, which is a relief.

We have salt saunas down here, I've been tempted to get in there and see if it makes a difference.
It should. Natives of the Dead Sea area have used it's high salt and mineral content to flush out their sinuses for thousands of years. I've only been in the ocean a handful of times, but my head was always more clear after a swim/dive than before. I'd do the netti pot with hypertonic solution and enjoy the sauna to boot.

Glad it cleared up, but be aware that forceful equalization can have consequences you might really not like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom