Possible weak purge on Hog classic second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All

I recently overhauled my hog classic second stage. I tuned it to free flow when the purge is used with the inhalation/cracking adjustment set to minimum and the venturi to +. It breathes well and holds a vacuum. The IP is a constant 145psi. The purge on the hog classic just seams weak compared to my Halcyon halo on the same first stage (dive rite 3100), but when it free flows it flows ample gas. Is this just a feature of the model?
Thanks Chris

I don't know if it's a "feature" more than just a difference in design. A lot of it is how hard the venturi is going to cause the diaphragm to suck in. Stronger venturi yields a stronger purge. The other factor is how far in the diaphragm is pushed by the purge button. If the Halo has a longer throw, then you are depressing the lever farther which yields a stronger purge.

If the purge strength worries you on the HOG classic, then you can switch to a silicone diaphragm cover which will allow you to more completely depress the diaphragm and open the valve that much more

Thanks Tbone, great advice as usual!

Hi Buddha
Lever height looks good, no freeplay , right on the rim. The term weak may be a bit harsh it's definitely enough to clear the reg but theres just a noticable difference between it and the halo. I think tbone nailed it as the cause might be the front cover/purge button design. The purge button has limited throw and the front cover is quite bulbous. As always your input is appreciated

If you just serviced... is the purge less powerful than before?

You say it clears water so what else are you looking to do? Perhaps the purge on your halo is too much? Really can't compare 2 different regs. My concern would be if the reg gives you enough air when you need it. Can you over breathe it?
From the perspective of a cold water diver, excessive purging is a bad thing. If it gives you all the air you need I would just dive and be happy. Sure wouldn't change my cover just so I can blow my mask off with the purge button. If you need to change the cover you have an adjustment problem. You could try raising the lever a hair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom