possible travel plan... are we nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow you guys are helpful... first, I didn't even think about elevation when it came to volcanoes natl. park- i was thinking about where the lava meets the water, and not the other parts of the park-oops :shakehead

I'm thinking something like this looks pretty good....(thanks dave)

July 19 fly into Honolulu in the evening
20th- Shore or boat dive North Shore, shark cage tour also possible.
21st- USS Arizona, Diamond Head, etc
22nd- Earliest flight to Kona - Volcanoes Natl. Park and South Point.
23rd- Shore or boat dives / doesn't matter. Manta dive in the evening.
24th- 3-tank dive to Au Au Crater(change this to a few early boat dives or local shore dives which give us more time before our flight to Kauai and then check out the area sights.
25th- Noon flight to Kauai – Waimea Canyon (over 4000 ft elev.)
26th- 3-tank dive to Niihau, stunned giddiness.looks amazing, we'll be there!
27th- Dive Tunnels on the North Shore – Turtles galore, white tip reef sharks!
28th- Shore Dive in the morning – Explore!
29th Relax, pack -Fly home in the evening!

We'll still have a day to plug in where we need to...I'm thinking the BI or Oahu. We wouldn't fly home until alomst 10pm on the 30th, so that will give us a full day to explore Kauai.

One more thought. Manta's don't always cooperate and there is little room in this schedule to book one more Manta dive (Thanks for that advice WildCard).

You are going to love Niihau! Pe sure to give us a full report!

Dave

One sewer dive qualifies him to rule out an island. "Also, I'm not terribly familiar with Kauai " read as he has never been there.

I didn't rule out an island -- I ruled out "shore diving in Waikiki" that the OP had spoken of. As far as I have heard / can see, Magic Island is really the only shore diving spoken of in Waikiki... and last I checked, Waikiki is not all of Oahu.

Of course, for those that are looking to nitpick someone else's recommendation and opinion, I guess you *could* jump to that conclusion.

And you're right, I've never been to Kauai. HOWEVER, some of us can read books and other peoples posts here, and I hadn't heard of shore diving Kauai before... it's always been boat dives. At least, that's all I remember speaking of. I think my disclaimer was adequate...

Teamcasa:
One more thought. Manta's don't always cooperate and there is little room in this schedule to book one more Manta dive (Thanks for that advice WildCard).

yeah... that is probably the place to stick the extra day. if we see mantas the first night, we can do a black water dive, if no mantas, we'll have another chance

Teamcasa:
You are going to love Niihau! be sure to give us a full report!

Dave

Will do, and hopefully with pictures!

What I would do is call the day before and see if the mantas showed up..if they didn't cancel the dive and do something else. (They tend to run in trends)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom