possible travel plan... are we nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also keep in mind that you also need to wait before driving up the volcanos after diving, just like flying. You can actually get a higher alt. from driving up some of HI volcanos than a commercial airline.

Personally, I'd skip diving Waikiki and hit up Maui, especially since you're talking about adding another day.

I've dove at Magic Island, and it really isn't worth the risk of contamination... :(

Other than that, I'd be concerned about this:
24th- Dive again in the morning. Volcanoes Natl. Park Explore Island.

Unless you're diving at the crack of dawn, and visiting the volcanoes at sunset, this is not a prudent schedule... :)

Also, I'm not terribly familiar with Kauai -- are there any real accessible shore dive sites? I thought the decent stuff over there was all boat diving...

Well,
I would drop Kauai, and put Maui in it's place.....have never seen the big draw to Kauai......Big Island, Maui, and Oahu......just my opinion.....
Jimbo

No wonder you didn't like diving Oahu....who dives Magic Island? :shakehead

With out putting other Islands down.....each has it's own thing to offer. You might want to check the sticky at the top of the forum - read what people have to say about different dive sites of each island and see what would suit you best.

Oahu has lots of interesting wrecks....Even if wrecks aren't your thing....we are not really talking about penetration....There are soooo many places for cool stuff to hide - our wrecks are well worth diving.

justleesa:
No wonder you didn't like diving Oahu....who dives Magic Island? :shakehead

With out putting other Islands down.....each has it's own thing to offer. You might want to check the sticky at the top of the forum to see what people have to say about different dive sites of each island and see what would suit you best.

Oahu has lots of interesting wrecks....Even if wrecks aren't your thing....we are not really talking about penetration....There are soooo many places for cool stuff to hide - our wrecks are well worth diving.
I would totally agree... but shore diving Waikiki sounds an aweful lot different than boat diving the wrecks.

I'm sure there are some great shore dive sites, but I can't imagine them being anywhere near Waikiki, as the water there was SOOO foul!

FWIW, it wasn't so much by choice -- that's where PADI examiners had chosen for the OW portion of my IE. :(

You were here right after the sewage spill, right? They've removed all the sand and sucked in new sand. The water is much better now. In general, Magic Island doesn't get many good reviews

FWIW, the pipe is a very good shore dive site - lots of locals dive it from shore on a regular basis.

Try one of the other shore dive sites next time....

justleesa:
You were here right after the sewage spill, right? They've removed all the sand and sucked in new sand. The water is much better now. In general, Magic Island doesn't get many good reviews

FWIW, the pipe is a very good shore dive site - lots of locals dive it from shore on a regular basis.

Try one of the other shore dive sites next time....
Dunno when the sewage spill was... our IE was mid Dec/06.

There are so many better shore diving sites on oahu, magic island is for teaching classes. Try Makua, or Kahe Point. If you can hang and the waves allow it you could hit lanai lookout. Then there is always sharks cove/ firehouse, three tables. Check out this site, www.shorediving.com/earth/hawaii/oahu/index.htm there is some good info. justleesa is right though check out the sticky its got good info. I usually make four dives a weekend and all of them shore. Oahu diving might not be Maui, or Kona, but its still awsome.

Halemano:
Here is another suggestion:

July 19 fly into Honolulu in the evening
20th- Shore or boat dive North Shore, shark cage tour also possible.
21st- USS Arizona, Diamond Head, etc

22nd- Earliest flight to Kona - Volcanoes Natl. Park and South Point.
23rd- Shore or boat dives / doesn't matter. Manta dive in the evening.
24th- 3-tank dive to Au Au Crater and then check out the area sights.

25th- Early flight to Kauai – Waimea Canyon (over 4000 ft elev.)
26th- 3-tank dive to Niihau, stunned giddiness.
27th- Dive Tunnels on the North Shore – Turtles galore, white tip reef sharks!
28th- Shore Dive in the morning – Explore!
29th Relax, pack -Fly home in the evening!

Dave

Seasonal Edit:

Summer is when the North Shore of Oahu and Kauai have the best conditions, and when Niihau is the premier diving of the entire state. 2 tanks at both Sharks Cove/Three Tables (Oahu) and Tunnels (Kauai) would be my plan, I think their both (all 4) better cavern diving than Sheraton Caverns (which is more of a winter site). Niihau is the most drooled over diving in Hawaii, as well as the most expensive and most grueling boat trip. Don't know how Au Au is in summer but it and Niihau are my top two can't wait to do those trips. Just Volcano's and South Point will have you back in Kona after dark if you go see the lava flow. If your really a glutton for punishment, there is a 2-mile hike to the first waterfall on the Napali coast trail for after your Tunnels dives (4hr round trip).

KrisB:
Personally, I'd skip diving Waikiki and hit up Maui, especially since you're talking about adding another day.

I've dove at Magic Island, and it really isn't worth the risk of contamination... :(

Other than that, I'd be concerned about this:
24th- Dive again in the morning. Volcanoes Natl. Park Explore Island.

Unless you're diving at the crack of dawn, and visiting the volcanoes at sunset, this is not a prudent schedule... :)

Also, I'm not terribly familiar with Kauai -- are there any real accessible shore dive sites? I thought the decent stuff over there was all boat diving...
One sewer dive qualifies him to rule out an island. "Also, I'm not terribly familiar with Kauai " read as he has never been there.
Your biting off too much! Pick two. BI and Maui/Oahu depending on what you want for top side stuff. Oahu has the tourist and Hx stuff as well as "wrecks" but Maui is much nicer and has plenty of suff to do too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom