possible relocation to Texas.. need a dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Friends,

There is a possability I maybe heading to Texas for about 6 months to a year due to work, so I am looking for a good local dive shop where I can continue my diving education. I would like it to be PADI as I already have all my books and training material for PADI DM.

Being the rule of names of shops apply here, please feel free to send me a PM with the shop name.

Jim

Texas is a pretty big state....what town or city will you be in or near:wink:

Opps.... sorry... gonna be in the Houston area... I have never been there before, so is the city too big to drive from one end to the other to go to a dive shop??

Big is all relative in Texas :D.....I would say yes....if you live in N Houston I wouldn't drive to South Houston for a dive shop.....that being said....perhaps some of the Houstonians will tune in to help you out....

Reefhound are you out there we need some help here:wink: stay tuned

BTW what part of the Houston area will you be in that may also help...

Thanks Ann... still not sure of what area of Houston I will be in... there are a few companies that I might go to work for, so its a little early to pick an area... Is Sports Chalet there in the area?

how far of a drive is it to get to the ocean/bay?? and do most of the training dive happen in lakes and quarries??

Most of the training is done in an area called Twin Lakes Twin Lakes Scuba Park

the gulf is within an hours drive but it is brown water....you have to go out on a boat usually on a weekend jaunt to even get close to clear water the Flower Gardens would be a weekend trip http://www.gulf-diving.com/.......but there are quarries lakes and rivers within about a 2-3 hr drive.....

I assume the Sports Chalet is a sporting goods store and we do not have that here...we do have Gander Mountain Gander Mountain > We Live Outdoors - Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Outdoor Recreation, Apparel & Footwear, Gunsmithing they do carry some scuba equipment....I would not call it a full service dive shop though...

I give a shout out for Gigglin' Marlin. It is on Richmond inside loop 610. That's where I go. Find out what area you will be in, and we can help you more though.

Thanks, Yea, Sports Chalet is a sporting goods/full service dive shop chain... in which I work part time at. It helps to cover all the toy cost that come with diving.

So the gulf is crappy brown water then... ok, so when doing the DM can a quarry will work for your check out open water dives or do you have to also do an actual open water dive in the ocean?

Not sure what the criteria is for becoming a DM but the check out open water dives I would think can be done in the various lakes quarries that are nearby....and then of course you have Cozumel at your doorstep only 1 1/2 hr flight :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.... didn't even think about that one.... dang, that might have to become a regualr thing to run to Cozumel for a weekend.. are the flights cheap from there??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom