possible reason for weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I sure wouldn't dive in a setup that would make me shoot up like a cork if I ever had to. Almost all my weight - in my normal dives I need just around 16 pounds total - goes on the belt.

Nothing will "make you shoot up like a cork" unless you lose your weights.

If you remove a W/I BC underwater and don't let go of it, you will be just as neutral as you were while wearing it.

flots.

Last edited:
Instruction demonstrations...

sv,

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, I skimmed the posts and didn't see it, but while I've never had to remove my gear at depth I've done it fairly often while on the surface. Usually to get back onto a boat that isn't really set up for diving. I find it easier to maneuver on the surface in my drysuit or 7mm farmer john/jacket with some weight on a belt. Make sure you have enough buoyancy in your suit to float you and that weight belt without having to hold onto your bc.

Nothing will "make you shoot up like a cork" unless you lose your weights.

If you remove a W/I BC underwater and don't let go of it, you will be just as neutral as you were while wearing it.

flots.

Key phrase here being "don't let go of it". Whatever happened to hoping for the best but planning for the worst?

If you read through this thread you can find examples of people who struggled to maintain control of buoyancy after doffing the BC. Rapid ascents account for a significant number of diver fatalities.

I use half n half---both in my diving & in my coffee.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom