Possible Move to South Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRev

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering a move from southern California to southern Wisconsin. (Yes, I know that sounds insane on a scuba forum, but life's more complicated on the land.) Here's my question: If I choose to part ways with Catalina and Laguna Beach what are my Midwest immersion options? Will my 7mm wetsuit work or do I just write off the dry suit as a moving expense? I've read a bit about Lake Michigan wrecks, etc. Diver Dan's in Kenosha was closed the day I was there.

Any input is most appreciated.
Thanks.

i dive a 7mm with a 3mm hooded vest underneath, and have done that ice diving as well, but i've finally got a drysuit on order. Some of the people I dive with go wet, but for the Great Lakes I'd say that most of the people I've been diving with go dry. You can go wet but you should understand that you're going to feel it, especially when you're doing two on the deep wreck dives. Going wet for me was more of a financial situation than choice.

I'm considering a move from southern California to southern Wisconsin. (Yes, I know that sounds insane on a scuba forum, but life's more complicated on the land.) Here's my question: If I choose to part ways with Catalina and Laguna Beach what are my Midwest immersion options? Will my 7mm wetsuit work or do I just write off the dry suit as a moving expense? I've read a bit about Lake Michigan wrecks, etc. Diver Dan's in Kenosha was closed the day I was there.

Any input is most appreciated.
Thanks.

It really depends on your comfort level. Dry suits certainly expand your season. Last weekend, Lake Michigan around here was from the low middle to upper 40's. It was actually warmer at 120 ft. than it was at 50 ft. after the gales came through. I'm so used to a dry suit now that I don't even have a 7 mm, but there was a wetsuit diver with us last weekend and she survived. Early in the season (April or May) the waters can be in the 30's.

If you do a lot of diving, then drysuits make the most sense. They might be a little hard to justify if you only dive a few times during the summer.

You would be fine with the 7mil if your cold tolerance is high. But if you want to stay down longer or be more comfortable, then a dry suit should be the choice.

Can we trade locations? I'd love to live in Catalina and be able to dive every night after work.

I was just diving in Lake Michigan last weekend. While most of us were dry there were a few who went wet. I'll parrot what the others have said it depends on how you handle the cold. If you should decide to move welcome to the area.

I'm considering a move from southern California to southern Wisconsin. (Yes, I know that sounds insane on a scuba forum, but life's more complicated on the land.) Thanks.

Glad to hear that you know what you are talking about.:wink:

I know one guy from LA to Indy. He is ready to take off anytime as soon as he complete his complicated life in Hoosier land.

Where in southern Wisconsin will you be? Lake Michigan has great wreck dives, but that's not all the diving we have here. And yes, many dive in 7mm wetsuits and many dive dry.

I've dove the Monterey area. I'll tell you right now you can expect your cold tolerance to be zero until your blood thickens. Get a dry suit and be done with it. Don't skimp on the under garments either.
Wisconsin has many diving oppurtunities. Lake Michigan offers world class wreck diving. We also have quarries and inland lakes. Wazee, Devils Lake, Pearl lake. In general they are best suited for very early and very late season diving. When they warm, the alge blooms and the viz goes south quick. I would say the best inland dive is Wazee. The viz claims on the web site are fantasy. In reality you can expect about 20 or 30 foot viz until you get deep. Then it clears.
Lake Michigan is a jewel however. Yes, there will be days when the viz is down. Early season for sure. But go deep or July or later and 150 foot viz is not uncommon. Couple that with the fact that wrecks tend to hold together for hundreds of years and you have a winning combination. Proper exposure protection is key as is training for it. Your gear set must be well maintained and ask people who actully dive the lake for advice. Go to the locals for it, they know whats going on. The people who mostly dive quarries,while they may be experienced in deep, are not really in tune with the big pond. That's a different kettle of fish so to speak.
Good luck with your move. I hope all goes well.

Jim

Where in So WI???
and for the record Jim is spot on!!!!

Thanks for all the Midwest ScubaBoard love!

I grew up in Chicago, so this is more of a return to the homeland rather than an attempted southern CA transplant. The blood still runs pretty thick, even after all these years. Probably all that deep dish pizza. I'm good to the mid-50's with my lined 7mm, but never tried it any colder. Looks like a dry suit for Christmas! Any excuse for gear, I say.

Can we trade locations? I'd love to live in Catalina and be able to dive every night after work.

Yeah, we'd all like to do that. Or maybe just live on a boat and be done with the land altogether. As it is, we just slog it out in traffic. Last Friday's shore dive at Laguna Beach was followed by getting stuck in traffic for 2 hours to go 50 miles. It is great fun to just walk into the ocean, though.

We're looking at the Kenosha area - Pleasant Prairie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom