Possible dive log application for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There isn't a chance in hell id pay money for a monstrously overpriced, massively under-featured phone that's 3 years behind anyone else though so wont be owning an iphone!

Three years behind seems to be seriously kicking everyone's behind.

To the OP, you might consider formatting an area to figure pressure group. (You may not want to mess with including tables, though) Also, a counter for total bottom time and number of dives for the year. I like to go back and condense everything at the end of the year including notes on any significant trips, dives or new gear acquisitions.

I like the idea of a gear catalogue where you could track maintenance.

There isn't a chance in hell id pay money for a monstrously overpriced, massively under-featured phone that's 3 years behind anyone else though so wont be owning an iphone!

Huh?!?! :rofl3:

I think this is great, We just had this discussion at my LDS, I am trying to go paperless and wanted to put it on my iphone, and everyone laughed when I brought it up. I was trying to figure out how to get my dive log to my iphone, I was thinking about using the oceanic software and then use PDF creator. But I hadn't made it any further than the thought process.

Several apps around for the Symbian S60 operating system phones - maybe worth looking at those for ideas. Also IIRC some windows mobile ones.

199.00 with a industry standard contract is hardly overpriced. Consider any Palm phone for comparison. (Which suck.) Or RIM device which are becoming sorely dated.

If by three years behind you are referring to available phone technology in the US, you are sorely mistaken. If you are referring to Japanese phone technology, you may have a point, but we're in the US, so it's irrelevant.

And I hope you don't mean three years behind the Symbian phones... Been there, done that, donated them to the boxes full of Nokia 5100's in the mall.

If you mean the lack of MMS messaging, my teenage sister is the only person I know who sends MMS messages. I could care less, apparently, same for the other 10 million people who bought the first version.

If you mean Android, I may somewhat agree, if only for the fact that iTunes and Apple in general is becoming a dominant force in the Music industry, and if the deal for more expensive devices and lifetime free music subscrips ever make it, you can forget about Android.

Even the mighty Google will not be able to unseat iTunes without some MAJOR flaw or extremely poor, industry-changing decision being made by iTunes.

AND, being as how Steve Jobs didn't steal the tech for Apple and actually has his own creative thought process (shameless slam on Microsoft) I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

199.00 with a industry standard contract is hardly overpriced. Consider any Palm phone for comparison. (Which suck.) Or RIM device which are becoming sorely dated.

If by three years behind you are referring to available phone technology in the US, you are sorely mistaken. If you are referring to Japanese phone technology, you may have a point, but we're in the US, so it's irrelevant.

And I hope you don't mean three years behind the Symbian phones... Been there, done that, donated them to the boxes full of Nokia 5100's in the mall.

If you mean the lack of MMS messaging, my teenage sister is the only person I know who sends MMS messages. I could care less, apparently, same for the other 10 million people who bought the first version.

If you mean Android, I may somewhat agree, if only for the fact that iTunes and Apple in general is becoming a dominant force in the Music industry, and if the deal for more expensive devices and lifetime free music subscrips ever make it, you can forget about Android.

Even the mighty Google will not be able to unseat iTunes without some MAJOR flaw or extremely poor, industry-changing decision being made by iTunes.

AND, being as how Steve Jobs didn't steal the tech for Apple and actually has his own creative thought process (shameless slam on Microsoft) I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

You shameless FANBOY! :D

My iPhone should be here in about a week and I was considering the same. In my massive amounts of free time (read none) I was going to work on an app to do dive planning, logging, GPS locations, and picture association, etc.

It sure would be nice if someone saved me the time though :)

The ability to log more than one person would be a great benefit and to be able to sync to a desktop version of the same (or popular Dive Log application) application would be ideal for editing, printing and storage.

You shameless FANBOY! :D

::blush::

I was in IT for 6 years before becoming a Cop.

I hate everything belonging to, utilizing, looking like or acting like Windows. (And most of the people who use them that called my support line every day.)

The day I bought my first Mac was like being born in a whole new world. No defrag, no registry errors, no blue screens... ahhhh....

I will be a fanboy until otherwise disappointed or let down.

Awesome! Thanks for working on this. It is one of the first apps I looked for after I got my iPhone! I use Go Dive and my husband uses Reef Log. Those formats are reasonable. Dive tables are not very interesting, as we dive by computer, so most of the time we get errors from the dive table anyway. I'd like to be able to record the usual information: location, max depth, duration, equipment, conditions. It would be terrific if, in addition to having a comment section to describe the dive, one could upload photos or even video. The GPS idea listed above is great as well. Selfishly, I'd love to have all my apps in one device and give up my Palm forever!
Thanks again. Happy to beta test.

Back
Top Bottom