Possible dive log application for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like you awaited the arrival of Dive Log and when it came out it was comprehensive enough that I gave up my developement efforts - I am more than pleased with Dive Log

I am still looking for a native iPhone app that will let me save a GPS location with a dive site name and an area to write notes. The app must allow me to transfer it to a database on my computer. Microsoft Access is sufficient. It does not have to record any other dive info. I have a dive computer for that.

Does anyone know of any iPhone app that does this?

The iPhone Dive Log in this thread does exactly what you want. You can capture the GPS location on the dive site, enter notes (and other dive related data) and sync this later back to the PC into Diving Log (which is using an Access database as logbook), and if you want you can import your dive profile and the other data from the dive computer into the same record and sync this record back to the iPhone.

At least I didn't heard anything back from the OP.

I was (and am) busy with my PhD. I thought I'd have time to develop the application, but others have gotten to it first and provided an App that is sufficient.

I had actually hoped that Apple would release code to use the iPhone's dock USB as a USB master so that one could connect directly to USB cables for dive computers, but so far I'm only aware of hacks to do this. Since there isn't official code for using the USB port, no application that uses it would be approved by the App Store.

P.S. I was also working on a camera application that would use the USB port to control a Canon dSLR and download the images, add GPS and the like, but this too would not be approved if using "hacked" USB control.

Do it! I'd charge at least the $.99 to reduce the downloads only to people truly interested. Less support.

Photo link is great.
I agree with the GPS if it's not a huge headache.

Quick entry of dive site name!! That's what I often forget. How about preloading dive sites to a list that can be seleted.

How about a downloadable list of sites: country, state/district, dive site that also contains comments on the site that users can share. Your users would build for you a dive site list. Maybe one that limits downloads into the iPhone of only selected country, district etc. There is/was a nice dive log for Palm that you should try to find as a reference.

Start with the basics and maybe use board members as beta. I'm diving 3/26. Have it ready by then!

Back
Top Bottom