Possible dive log application for iPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello scubaboard members.

I'm planning on making an iphone-based dive-log application that will be available for a small (<$5 US) fee or possibly free. (all I would like to do is pay for the subscription for iphone developing, not make a profit) Below are some preliminary specifications and photos. I would like feedback from any iPhone users on scubaboard. I may offer free testing licenses to those who contribute useful responses.

First I would like some comments on a layout
ilogDives1.jpg

Second I'm interested in features that people would like to see in a dive log application. I'm planning on including

• Save all relavent dive information. time, depth, gear, air mix, conditions...
  • Large notes/diary areas
  • List of dive buddies and contact info
  • Sort dives by rating, order, and location
  • Link photos to dives
  • Recall common dive sites/gear
  • Recall common dive buddies
  • Sort dives by rating, order, and location

Items I may consider to include now or later

• Upload info to a website
  • Convert data to/from other dive log formats
  • Windows & Mac application with the same format
  • Trip report function
  • Upload trip reports
  • User contributed data for locations
  • Several display options

Items I will am unlikely include

• Dive computer, dive table, and dive planning (I don't need that kind of liability. However, if a company that produces dive tables/ computers would like to work with me I'll consider it)
  • Download info from dive computers (too many kinds and I can't get USB to work for this on the iPhone)

Once again, thanks for reading and I look forward to any comments.

I just got an iPhone and was looking for a Scuba app. One feature I'd like to see would be recording GPS coordinates of the dive site. I know I'd use this on boat dives a lot. I dive with a computer so the actual log stuff wouldn't be as useful. I'd recommend to versions or modes; a simpler one that only has dive number, name, GPS coords and notes then a full version with place to store temp, max depth, time etc for users that don't dive with a computer.

I'd be happy to help beta test and/or code (but I gotta get a mac environment to develop in first). Let me know.

-Jesse

Several apps around for the Symbian S60 operating system phones - maybe worth looking at those for ideas. Also IIRC some windows mobile ones.

There isn't a chance in hell id pay money for a monstrously overpriced, massively under-featured phone that's 3 years behind anyone else though so wont be owning an iphone!

I love this idea, and I was waiting for someone to step up to this. I love the GPS location idea for boat dives, I have the first iPhone and would love to be able to have the location link back to Google maps if possible. Something that attracts me to apps is the different color and graphical setup, I am sure that is the last thing you are thinking about though. I dive with my wife and she does not have an iPhone. Is it possible to keep track of more than just me? I would also love to be a part of the testing team. Good luck and thank you for taking this on for us.

Oh, and maybe a way to add a picture to each dive, like if you end up taking pictures of your dive or the entry point or afterward.. Thanks again

To the OP, if you happen to be developing on the Mac, perhaps you could sync up with the developer of MacDive for sync between the two. Would benefit both applications.

I understand that GPS stands for GLOBAL POSITIONING but would it really work out at Sea if you were away from cell service?

I love the idea. Maybe you can code a log software package for Mac. I wish Oceanlog would work on Mac =/.

I was hoping to find something like this on the new AppStore.

For your table calculations, you could code a simple version of the RDP.

If you make the diver do the pressure group calculation, a simple table query would work as long as they input the proper group result after the previous dive.

I would like to see hard to remember details. So - recording starting pressure on the dock, or recording surface temperature, recording and geotagging photos of the boat, people, dive site, etc.

Would also be cool to include a feature that would allow you to keep track of service dates on equipment. I don't carry any of that stuff with me to trips, but always my phone.

A list of equipment serial numbers, etc, would be cool also.

May also consider a rudimentary SAC calculator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom