Possibily moving to Colorado from California...HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
We are going to dive together one of these days Howard!

I know that you don't like the cold water, so maybe we'll spend the day on the mountain in Breck or on my turf in CB, and then I'll hit one of those cheap flights to Lauderdale and you can show me some of your favorite dives!

Let me know if you get a drysuit. That could change everything!

Oh... we have dry suits. I use mine here (I'm in Fort Lauderdale right now - sorry :D)in the winter :D

We went diving with Dr Bill on Catalina too, and did some of San Diego's wrecks - that was 54 degree water. :frosty:

I grew up in Colorado, and loved it. Still do, but...

I moved to, well, just about everywhere, and finally ended up in Sacramento, where I finally got certified. After some awesome diving I moved to Colorado Springs, where I got back into camping and mountaineering. But I sure missed the diving.

6 years in CO, and the only time I went diving was on a trip to San Diego.

I sure did miss the diving.

However, most of the time I was in CO I was a full-time student, and all of the time I was too broke to travel.

If the job allows you / enables you to travel, fantastic. If it doesn’t, don’t expect much of CO diving. Not that it doesn’t exist, I guess, but it sure ain’t CA.

Best of luck.

I spend a lot of time in CA recruiting for rugby. One of my sets of dive gear always accompanies me (sky or scuba).

IMHO, you have to ask yourself a single question (I asked it 16 years ago when I left Kansas City): am I a beach guy or a mountain guy?

You'll never see mountains as awesome as Colorado's (been throughout the rest of the country & the world. CO rocks.)

You'll probably never have as good a beach + work life as you do in Cali unless you go somewhere like Australia.

So. Are you a beach guy or a mountain man?

There's your answer.

If you do make it to Boulder, let us know. I'm sure you'll get used to 50degree water and no viz (or quick plane trips to good dive sites) just like the rest of us.

I don't envy your decision. I grew up in SoCal but learned to dive after moving to CO. :confused: I love diving so much I put up with the cold water, poor viz, muddy bottoms just to be in the water. I dive SoCal everytime I visit family there. And after diving with the scubaboard folks in SoCal, that get to dive most any time they want, I have to admit I get jealous. But the thought of moving back to the smog, congestion, etc. and giving up where I live, stops me in a nano-second.:thumbs_up:

howarde:
Oh... we have dry suits. I use mine here (I'm in Fort Lauderdale right now - sorry :D)in the winter :D

We went diving with Dr Bill on Catalina too, and did some of San Diego's wrecks - that was 54 degree water. :frosty:

I'd be in FL now if I could! As you know, Its been buttass cold this winter, and while there's tons of snow lying around the front range, the ski areas are in dire need of more snow.

I knew that you dressed warm for diving, so I figured cold water diving was out of the question. But the 54 degree water that you enjoyed at Catalina and the San Diego wrecks is as cold or colder than most of the local diving here.
Blue Hole is around 62 degrees. Its not worth dragging your gear up from FL. But its unique, and fun socially.

If you get back to Breck this winter, PM me, I'll come up and we'll ride and ski a bit.

Divedoggie:
I'd be in FL now if I could! As you know, Its been buttass cold this winter, and while there's tons of snow lying around the front range, the ski areas are in dire need of more snow.

I knew that you dressed warm for diving, so I figured cold water diving was out of the question. But the 54 degree water that you enjoyed at Catalina and the San Diego wrecks is as cold or colder than most of the local diving here.
Blue Hole is around 62 degrees. Its not worth dragging your gear up from FL. But its unique, and fun socially.

If you get back to Breck this winter, PM me, I'll come up and we'll ride and ski a bit.
we were just there for the coldest week of the winter. We go back and forth about every 2 weeks. Mountain looks pretty bare as far as snow goes :(

The Chad - that actually sounds a little interesting, because I own a condo here and don't quite know what I'm going to do with it...of course I have even gotten the job out there yet, so eveything is up in the air. But you have to remember, the cost of living here is WAY higher...the mortgage for my 1 bderoom, 1 bath condo mortgage is $2,400 a month. :)

Thanks all for your input...of course I was already well aware that diving there is not in any way like diving here. I just wanted to make contact with some poeple on scubaboard out there so I could see what the real scene is. I obviosly know it would be a lot of traveling to dive...and fresh, cold water, but if I do get this job, it will be a very good move for my career. If there are divers there that love the sport as much as I do...then at least I won't feel totally stranded in the middle of the country. I have heard there are really good wrecks in Milwaukee...not that its too close to you guys, but leaset closer to you than to me out here. Thanks again...and I'm going to try to stop by a dive shop in Boulder on Sunday or Tuesday next week to maybe talk some diving. Wish me luck! :)

Yeah it is at least an interesting thought... Your paying more than we are 3bed/2 1/2 ba after all is said an done close to 2k/ month. Only thing is the wife and I would not have the job opportunity out there so the likelyhood of it working is probally bad.

On the bright side we venture to blue hole and rock lake once a month so if you did the same you'd have something to look foward to. But I'm sure where your at now and going whenever you want tops that.

All I've dove here is Horsetooth, Carter, Chatfield, Cherry Creek, and they all plainly stink and go in that order. But having a boat I guess helps. Flaming Gorge is better, way deeper and cold as well not to mention the drive. Not sure what kind of diving you do, but the hole and rock are good for training. Check out Flatirons scuba I've heard some good things.

Whatever you do, best of luck to you and look into a drysuit if you don't hae one already

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom