Possibily moving to Colorado from California...HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejean

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Rocky Mountain divers,

I am flying out to Boulder this weekend for a job interview and I'm going to be touring the town and surroundings to see if living there is for me. It all sounds wonderful, except for the fact that I would have to leave the ocean here in California. This is a major major decision, and any input from all of you that make me feel better about the transition would be helpful. I'm a rescue diver and have a passion for wrecks, and I'm involved in some the wreck divers clubs here, and I've been diving since I was 15 (now 31). Diving is the only thing in life that I will never give up. Ever. So everyone here is looking at me sideways saying..."Colorado? What?" The job there would be a great opportunity for me, and I also love snowboarding, backpacking, etc. I just don't know how bad my separation anxiety will get. I need help with this decision. Please tell me a little about diving in Colorado, and how much you guys get out to the ocean on trips, etc.

Thank you soooo much!

Jessejean :)

There is no great, maybe not even good diving that I have found in CO.

Coz is a direct flight just 3.5 hours away as are a lot of destinations like FL, the great lakes, and CA.

If you love to dive on a regular basis CO is not a good place to do so.

I generally go down to the Blue Hole NM for dives about 4 times a year. I do one or two dive trips a year tropical.

Its an effort here, but on average, I get 4-6 dives/month by driving to NM or Utah, driving/flying to FL or flying to a destination. Boulder is stunningly beautiful and I would never move back to CA after 20 years here. Too many people.

Well that sounds a little more promising...are you part of a dive club in Boulder where I coudl get info? Good dive shop I could stop by?

Aggghhh!!! YOu are moving from Ventura to Colorado??!!?? :confused:
Sorry, I had to gasp. I love diving out in Calif, in fact it is one of my favorite dive destinations ever. You aren't going to find something even close to it in CO. Just prepare yourself for lots of trips to the airport on your way elsewhere or back home!
sorry!

robint

Here are some positives!:

If you make enough money and have enough time off with this possible new job, you can fly and dive anywhere you want!!

Boulder is a beautiful, healthy, and fun place.

The snowboarding in Colorado is obviously great!

The Rocky Mountain Oysters have evolved into an unofficial dive club.

We are constantly exploring and looking for some good dive sites in Colorado, maybe you can help pioneer one with us!

Road trips to established dive sites like Blue Hole in NM, and the Crater in Utah, have turned into fun events.

Want to trade houses for a few months and see for yourself? after 34 yrs here I'm looking to do just the oppisite

You'll love Colorado.. except for the whole ocean missing thing.

What kind of work do you do? Boulder is great, but expensive to live, allot of people live outside Boulder who work there. (I live and work in Fort Collins)

When California slips off into the sea the beach will be all that much closer to Colorado! : )

Bob in CO

I didn't like Boulder that much when I lived there for a year, but it's not bad....

I've lived in Breckenridge for 15 years. About 2 years ago, we started a business in Fort Lauderdale too, so we could dive more. It usually costs about $180-200 per flight, and Ted flys direct :eyebrow:

I haven't dived in Colorado ever (except in a pool in Breckenridge when I got certified)

I love Colorado though, and would never leave.

We are going to dive together one of these days Howard!

I know that you don't like the cold water, so maybe we'll spend the day on the mountain in Breck or on my turf in CB, and then I'll hit one of those cheap flights to Lauderdale and you can show me some of your favorite dives!

Let me know if you get a drysuit. That could change everything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom