Poseidon Trident Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super Noob 1258

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have experience with the Poseidon trident fins in regards to performance, sizing or other aspects? I am looking at getting a pair.

TL;DR: I used splitfins for years and then borrowed a set of rocket fins and had a change of heart

Some background: I started on an old pair of aqualung split fins (long discontinued) when I was certified a few years back (I was 12 at the time, and they worked well because I didn't have much leg strength or mass to push through the water). While doing my DM course last christmas, I had trouble with the tired diver tow and borrowed a pair of XL aqualung hot-shots (with 5mm tilos boots), improving greatly. I got a pair of hotshots and they work very well, but then this past summer I found some (circa 1981) rocket fins and gave them a try. Since then I have been getting into DIR and need some compliant fins. I have been looking at Jetfins, OMS slipstreams, and now Trident fins. I like that they are shorter and wider (I like compact fins).

What can scubaboard tell me about these fins (posideon tridents)? Is there a good place online that sells them where I can exchange for a different size?

check out oceanenterprises.com in san diego. they have poseidons and many of the other fins that you are considering. I may grab a pair myself when I am down there next summer. I can say that i have old pair of jetins that are nice, but the footpocket is too small for my drysuit boot. I may also be getting into DIR and will need a large fin.

I just ordered a set of yellow tridents from Ocean Enterprises in xl. I normally wear xl jets or xl OMS slipstreams. I will let you know about fit and performance of the tridents as soon as they arrive.

Does anybody have experience with the Poseidon trident fins in regards to performance, sizing or other aspects? I am looking at getting a pair.

TL;DR: I used splitfins for years and then borrowed a set of rocket fins and had a change of heart

Some background: I started on an old pair of aqualung split fins (long discontinued) when I was certified a few years back (I was 12 at the time, and they worked well because I didn't have much leg strength or mass to push through the water). While doing my DM course last christmas, I had trouble with the tired diver tow and borrowed a pair of XL aqualung hot-shots (with 5mm tilos boots), improving greatly. I got a pair of hotshots and they work very well, but then this past summer I found some (circa 1981) rocket fins and gave them a try. Since then I have been getting into DIR and need some compliant fins. I have been looking at Jetfins, OMS slipstreams, and now Trident fins. I like that they are shorter and wider (I like compact fins).

What can scubaboard tell me about these fins (posideon tridents)? Is there a good place online that sells them where I can exchange for a different size?

I have Jetfins, Hollis F1's, the huge bladed carbon fiber hybrid DiveR freedive fins, and now a pair of Excellerating Force fins.
For DIR or GUE level skills, and efficiency far greater than the jetfins or the hollis fins, I am liking the Excellerating force fins much more...They are awesome for frog kick and reverse kick, and with flutter kick they are far more efficient than the jet fins are. For modified flutter ( where you are flutter kicking with your fins up high --keeping them far from silty bottom--used where there is no side to side room for frog kick), they are even more impressive.

Pricey. But worth it.

For Palm Beach Drift Dives, over reefs, or on wrecks where you plan no significant penetration, the DiveR's are still my favorite fins, though now this is very close to the Excellerators. The DiveR's can be like scooters....they can allow a cyclist that is a diver, to move around in currents in ways not possible for other divers, and where other divers are able to be moving around in the current, the DiveR's make it so easy it is insane...However, the DiveR fins will never be GUE viable, for Fundies....They are not optimal for penetrations in wrecks, because they are so long the blade tips can hot the ceiling. Also, while reverse kicking is possible, it is difficult to do alot of. These are reef fins.
The Excellerators use your muscles better than any other fins I have tried, and seem to get even more efficient the faster you have to swim.....the jets, when you have to go faster( to get up-current or something), get a lot less efficient after you pass their "cruising speed" ( kind of like a hull speed for a boat).

DEMO any fins you would think of....borrow from someone who has the fins you want to try..use them on real dives...Do NOT take my word, or anyone else's word for it. There are HUGE differences between fins, and only the DEMO concept will give you a shot at making the best choice. You will also see how pathetic Split fins are!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom