Poseidon regulators & service ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to a local LDS yesterday to look at the new Xstreams, ask if they have one I can try.

I was told there were only a few left and they would stop carrying Poseidon due to the way they handle service issues. I was told that Poseidon request all regs to be send back for servicing, including annuals. So every time something needs more than adjustment the reg has to be send back east, we're talking about at least a week downtime, more likely two.
While the shop has a Poseidon certified service tech they can't order parts anymore. :frown2:

I know several of you board members own and work in dive shops. Any truth to that?

Also those of you who work on their own regs, where do you get parts/service kits?

Thanks
Stefan

With the Xstreams, they took forever to get a service manual together, and I have yet to see a service kit for the Xstream. Jetstreams are not a problem, but it seems as if Viking (distributor of Poseidon) is not putting any trust in LDS's out there to service the Xstream. I dont know what is going on. Maybe Bob3 has some insite, and will let us know. Bob, are Xstream kits available to authorized service techs???

I have a X stream duration and have had it set up to work with the octo and adjusted a bit. I have had no problems with it and I have not heard from LDS that that service is a problem. I also have a atomic T1x and love it as well but they feel very different from each other.

Does anybody know why Poseidon discourages using an octo with the X streams except the Dive. I have used mine with an octo on about 25 dives and have one problem.

caveseeker7:
Went to a local LDS yesterday to look at the new Xstreams, ask if they have one I can try.

I was told there were only a few left and they would stop carrying Poseidon due to the way they handle service issues. I was told that Poseidon request all regs to be send back for servicing, including annuals. So every time something needs more than adjustment the reg has to be send back east, we're talking about at least a week downtime, more likely two.
While the shop has a Poseidon certified service tech they can't order parts anymore. :frown2:

I know several of you board members own and work in dive shops. Any truth to that?

Also those of you who work on their own regs, where do you get parts/service kits?

Thanks
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

I also have not been able to locate a manual for the Extreme in English, Out of curiosity I will contact Viking to see what they say about it. If that is infact their policy for service I can see why the LDS would not be too keen on carrying the line.

Chris

deepbluetech:
If that is infact their policy for service I can see why the LDS would not be too keen on carrying the line.
Chris, not only do I understand, I agree. The shops loose revenue from not doing the service, and it's hard to sell a reg that'll be gone for a couple of weeks every year.
This is even more surprising as Poseidon caters to professional and technical divers (why else get a 200m CE depth rating), both of which are groups that dive a lot and will not like the idea of their gear being out of/for service.
:angry:

Geeze, don't know where to start with all that.
There are plenty of Xstreams around & as far as service goes, the only new info I have here is that the Xstreams require a "clean room" type setup, so working on the critters in a chicken coop or on the beach is out. (Can't have the bench next to grinders, dust/dirt producing machines, etc.) Basic stuff.
Poseidon certified reg techs & parts:
The Poseidon reg tech needs to take a 3-page written test (open book/CD) in order to get an Xstream & O2 service cert; said cert is needed to get parts. OR you can send the regs back into Viking.
The test is pretty basic stuff, especially considering that all you have to do is look the answers up. The test has 17 questions, multiple guess, w/3 guesses per question. Most have at least 1 dumb answer that a sleeping person can throw out.
Not counting naps, it looks to be about 15 - 20 minutes worth if you're moderately awake.
All this hoop-jumping is applicable only for the Xstream.
I can't comment as to why the shop in question is adverse to doing some very basic pencil pushing. Makes no sense from where I'm sitting, but there are always at least 3 sides to every story.

I'm not a certified Xstream tech, btw, just a humble Viking monger. :D

Oh yah, they've had since October to get the test done. Maybe they're as bad as I am when it comes to the papershuffeling :wink:

Bob3:
Geeze, don't know where to start with all that.
There are plenty of Xstreams around & as far as service goes, the only new info I have here is that the Xstreams require a "clean room" type setup, so working on the critters in a chicken coop or on the beach is out. (Can't have the bench next to grinders, dust/dirt producing machines, etc.) Basic stuff.
Poseidon certified reg techs & parts:
The Poseidon reg tech needs to take a 3-page written test (open book/CD) in order to get an Xstream & O2 service cert; said cert is needed to get parts. OR you can send the regs back into Viking.
The test is pretty basic stuff, especially considering that all you have to do is look the answers up. The test has 17 questions, multiple guess, w/3 guesses per question. Most have at least 1 dumb answer that a sleeping person can throw out.
Not counting naps, it looks to be about 15 - 20 minutes worth if you're moderately awake.
All this hoop-jumping is applicable only for the Xstream.
I can't comment as to why the shop in question is adverse to doing some very basic pencil pushing. Makes no sense from where I'm sitting, but there are always at least 3 sides to every story.

I'm not a certified Xstream tech, btw, just a humble Viking monger. :D

Oh yah, they've had since October to get the test done. Maybe they're as bad as I am when it comes to the papershuffeling :wink:

All that said, have you ever opened one up? Besides the clean room requirement, how would you compare servicing compared to the Jetstream first..., that is if the answer to my first question was 'Yes'...?

thanks,
Randy

Scuba.com in Rancho Santa Nargarita, Ca. has a fantastic service department who capably rebuilds Poseidon regulators. Viking is the current U.S. distributor and Poseidon direct accounts can obtain rebuild kits with a simple phone call. Poseidon is in some ways similar to Rolex watches. The only people who put them down are those who don't have one. Poseidon is one of the oldest makers of regulators in the world. Their regulators are beautifully built and operate flawlessly. They are not embellished with chrome and plastic, but there is no doubt about their reliability and ease of breathing. Few regulators don't perform well at shallow depths to thirty feet, but if one were to do a 100 ft. dive, he would be amazed at how his Poseidon regulator worked. When extreme cold water diving is done in winter, Poseidon regulators rule. The Cyklon regulator was the first to offer a serious octopus.
If you want a high quality regulator to own for the duration of your lifetime diving, you couldn't be better served than having a Poseidon. P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom