Porteau Cove/Dives/Hikes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Some friends and I will be camping at Porteau Cove over the Memorial Day weekend and would like to dive and hike.

What are the main dives that we could do in the area and where are the closes places to hike?

Thanks,
Gray

gcbryan:
Some friends and I will be camping at Porteau Cove over the Memorial Day weekend and would like to dive and hike.

What are the main dives that we could do in the area and where are the closes places to hike?

Thanks,
Gray
Main Dive Site would be Porteau Cove itself. Not to far away is Whitecliff, Porteau Cove is better IMO.

Where are the closest dive stores for air fills to this site?

Thanks,
Gray

gcbryan:
Where are the closest dive stores for air fills to this site?

Thanks,
Gray
<edited out...had wrong store...see post below.>

JeffG:
This is the store we used.

BC Dive Adventures Inc.
North Vancouver
228 West Esplanade, V7M 3H7
Phone: (604) 983 2232
Fax: (604) 983-2405
Email: bcda@bcdive.com
URL: www.bcdive.com

Its ~20 min drive to the shop (and a relatively straight forward drive for people not familiar with North Vancouver...like me)

Jesus, That store has been closed for 2 and half years and it does not take 20 min to drive from Porteau Cove to there. Try about 40 min if not longer considering the constuction that is on the highway.

The closest dive shop is Great Pacific Diving located on Marine Drive in North Van. www.greatpacific.net.

If you are camping there, of course dive the regular wreck sites, but don't forget the campground wall. It's a lovely little dive with about 5-7 octopi dens on it. Bottoms out at 135' at high tide.

For hikes, head over to Squamish and hike the backside of The Chief or one the hundreds trails around there.

Have fun
Henry

Henry:
Jesus, That store has been closed for 2 and half years and it does not take 20 min to drive from Porteau Cove to there. Try about 40 min if not longer considering the constuction that is on the highway.

The closest dive shop is Great Pacific Diving located on Marine Drive in North Van. www.greatpacific.net.

If you are camping there, of course dive the regular wreck sites, but don't forget the campground wall. It's a lovely little dive with about 5-7 octopi dens on it. Bottoms out at 135' at high tide.

For hikes, head over to Squamish and hike the backside of The Chief or one the hundreds trails around there.

Have fun
Henry
Oops...your right. I used the store that you pointed out. I just search the web and thought I recognized the store. My mistake.

How far away is Smuggler's Cove from Porteau Cove?

gcbryan:
How far away is Smuggler's Cove from Porteau Cove?
If you mean the Smuggler's cove on the Sunshine Coast, you have to drive South to Horseshoe Bay, and take the ferry across Howe Sound to Langdale. Then you have to drive up the coast a bit. I've never been diving there so I'm just pretending to be smart, but I think you need a boat for getting to any decent sites. The only shore dive I've heard of there is Brook's (sp?) Cove just south of Smuggler's, but it has a million-mile swim. If you're going to take a ferry from Horseshoe bay, you might as well go across to the Nanaimo area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom