Port Closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should be decent weather in the western sheltered area where the marine park is. Hopefully the port captain will not close it again for the one size fits all '25 km/h from the NW wind' this weekend.

1669926286884.png

Partial closure issued last night due to Southern winds.

"Good evening to all the maritime community
As of 9:00 p.m., navigation is closed to small boats and for all recreational aquatic activities in the following areas:
From Palancar to Punta Sur and from Punta Sur to Punta Molas, due to the forecast of southeasterly winds with speeds greater than 25 km/h and high waves.
The foregoing in compliance with regulations and with the aim of safeguarding human life at sea
"

Remaining closed from Palancar and south, conditions were neither bad nor dangerous.
Hopefully everything opens tomorrow

We dove south last 2days Lots of boats down around Punta Sur.

Port closed to vessels below 15M this morning. Winds are projected to worsen thru Tuesday. Hopefully TD#10 will quit slobbering around and pickup speed going north and the port will reopen in a few days. TD#10 is projected to become Tropical storm / Hurricane Idalia and head towards the Redneck Riviera. The slower it moves north the stronger it will be. Trivia note, more storm names starting with the letter 'I' have been retired than any other letter.

Port closed to vessels below 15M this morning. Winds are projected to worsen thru Tuesday. Hopefully TD#10 will quit slobbering around and pickup speed going north and the port will reopen in a few days. TD#10 is projected to become Tropical storm / Hurricane Idalia and head towards the Redneck Riviera. The slower it moves north the stronger it will be. Trivia note, more storm names starting with the letter 'I' have been retired than any other letter.
Nice trivia point regarding letter I. Kind of makes sense letter would be somewhere near letter “I” because that would likely have occurred towards the middle of the season when ocean temperatures were high (though “I” may be closer towards the start of the season these days in part due to climate shifts but also because better satellites and instruments are picking up more fish storms (ocean storms that don’t hit land ) than we would have 50 years ago .

I'm guessing the surfing will be great over on the east side for the next day or so, especially as the storm moves northward and the return air flow comes around to the west.

had lunch at rastas. nearly flat. back in 2005 with emily (prior to Wilma) drove around the island the day before the storm hit and it was calm. Now Wilma was something else. East side was closed nearly two days before the storm came in for good reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom