Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now it looks like next Sunday is at risk.

Dave

I just refreshed and now watching Saturday and Sunday 4th and 5th as well as the 6th and 7th - this is killing us!

So did this month set a new record for port closures in December?

I don't think so, but January might.

Dave

No, say it ain't so!!!! December was bad enough

Regardless of who disagrees with me…I'm telling you, January is always the worst month for Nortes.

Dave Dillehay

Regardless of who disagrees with me…I'm telling you, January is always the worst month for Nortes.

Dave Dillehay

Christy's pinned post on nortes agrees with you. If December was this bad, one has to wonder what January will bring.

Christy's pinned post on nortes agrees with you. If December was this bad, one has to wonder what January will bring.
For 2015 & 2018, yes - 4 or 5 days closed. Of the other 7 Januaries, 2 - 1 days, 4 - 2 days, and 1 - 3 days, and 3 days is still less than 10%. March 2013 had a 4 day as did October 2011 & 2017. January is not always the worst month.

If you plan a winter getaway tho, you do have to accept the extra risks - winter weather to & from the airport, winter weather disrupting plane travel in a variety of ways, and the chance of nortes catching up to you even in the subtropics. I used to think that winter getaways were nice until I got disrupted on several of those. I did one last February to Coz to see Eagle Rays, and I was lucky overall, but I still had to wear an extra 3 mil in the water and long pants some nights. Some trips will be more challenging, so accept the adventures or stay home. These days, I am more likely to visit south Texas while the skeeters & rattlers are probably hibernating, but I can plan those drives based on 5 days forecasts avoiding most blizzards.

For 2015 & 2018, yes - 4 or 5 days closed. Of the other 7 Januaries, 2 - 1 days, 4 - 2 days, and 1 - 3 days, and 3 days is still less than 10%. March 2013 had a 4 day as did October 2011 & 2017. January is not always the worst month.

If you plan a winter getaway tho, you do have to accept the extra risks - winter weather to & from the airport, winter weather disrupting plane travel in a variety of ways, and the chance of nortes catching up to you even in the subtropics. I used to think that winter getaways were nice until I got disrupted on several of those. I did one last February to Coz to see Eagle Rays, and I was lucky overall, but I still had to wear an extra 3 mil in the water and long pants some nights. Some trips will be more challenging, so accept the adventures or stay home. These days, I am more likely to visit south Texas while the skeeters & rattlers are probably hibernating, but I can plan those drives based on 5 days forecasts avoiding most blizzards.

Move here and you don't even have to worry about the Nortes!

Some dive shops even call you and suggest you get some diving in cause a Norte is on the way - that's valet service!

Move here and you don't even have to worry about the Nortes!

Some dive shops even call you and suggest you get some diving in cause a Norte is on the way - that's valet service!

Who does that? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom