Port Closed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But some are, right? You even mention seeing them…hats off to your 25 years of diving CZM :wink:
Yes. In all my trips to Cozumel since I've been diving, at least once a year since 1994 except 2020, I have seen hundreds of turtles, perhaps a thousand or more. Maybe 20 were loggerheads.

Yes. In all my trips to Cozumel since I've been diving, at least once a year since 1994 except 2020, I have seen hundreds of turtles, perhaps a thousand or more. Maybe 20 were loggerheads.
Similar ratio for us - definitely not greater.
There really shouldn't be any confusion. Those guys are not only huge, but have the necks of a California Redwood or a Giant Sequoia.

I found a website that says that Cozumel does NOT observe daylight savings time, but my husband said he read somewhere that they do. Anyone there and know for certain?

Yes, I know this question has nothing to do with the original thread subject ... but when did that ever stop us SBers from going off topic? :cool:

I found a website that says that Cozumel does NOT observe daylight savings time, but my husband said he read somewhere that they do. Anyone there and know for certain?

Yes, I know this question has nothing to do with the original thread subject ... but when did that ever stop us SBers from going off topic? :cool:
Don't worry, the original subject became irrelevant by Saturday afternoon. And yes, they no longer do daylight savings time in Cozumel. They align with central time during the summer and eastern time during the winter.

We lost out on our bonus day of diving on Friday because of the port closure. I went and sat at the "closed" beach at Fiesta Americana most mornings from about 5:30-6:30 am (having young kids will do that to you) and on Friday morning the waves were crashing over the little sea wall. I was in no way surprised, or really disappointed for that matter, that the port was closed. I took most of my group into town for the day because they had never been to Cozumel and needed to see the real world, not just the resort. Everybody was pretty happy with the day.

This is fascinating about the turtles.

I usually see 1-2 loggerheads per trip.
Hawksbills are the vast majority of the turtles I see.
I've seen 1 green ever in Cozumel.

Side note: my daughter did her checkout dives and saw loggerheads on dive 1 and 3. She was doing skills near the bottom while a loggerhead was munching on a conch. And people say to do their checkouts in cold quarries :)

Don't worry, the original subject became irrelevant by Saturday afternoon. And yes, they no longer do daylight savings time in Cozumel. The align with central time during the summer and eastern time during the winter.

We lost out on our bonus day of diving on Friday because of the port closure. I went and sat at the "closed" beach at Fiesta Americana most mornings from about 5:30-6:30 am (having young kids will do that to you) and on Friday morning the waves were crashing over the little sea wall. I was in no way surprise, or really disappointed for that matter, that the port was closed. I took most of my group into town for the day because they had never been to Cozumel and needed to see the real world, not just the resort. Everybody was pretty happy with the day.
Thank you!

We loved FA before they closed their beach. I hope they resolve that soon. It's a fun resort - and sure gave me ample opportunity to practice my Spanish! Sorry you missed a day of diving, but it sounds like you found a way to redeem that day. :)

Similar ratio for us - definitely not greater.
There really shouldn't be any confusion. Those guys are not only huge, but have the necks of a California Redwood or a Giant Sequoia.
Exactly!

Two hawkbills, Spotted Eagle Ray, toad fish, three black tips, one nurse in the open, octopus, lobster and humongous crabs…another fine day under the sea.

No photos this trip.

I took my GoPro case down on the first dive with tissues in it and sure enough, came up soaked. Also had my cell phone stolen here, so I feel extremely liberated :)

No photos this trip.

I took my GoPro case down on the first dive with tissues in it and sure enough, came up soaked. Also had my cell phone stolen here, so I feel extremely liberated :)
Oh no! Well ... when I lost my camera rig in May on the first day of diving I felt a bit liberated too ... after three days of trying to find it. I'm sorry to hear it. But IF you can ... roll with it. Enjoy your dives and take lots of mental pictures - and make lots of pretend phone calls?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom