port-a-cath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miguel sanz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello Dr. Deco:
I´ve posted a thread on this in the medicine forum, and I know there was one some months ago but the bubble formation issue was not adressed. I know the main problem is the underlying disease, but my question is specific about bubble formation and intravascular devices.
"Hi everybody! I would appreciate some info on diving with a port-a-cath (or maybe related info like any other intravascular device), I´ve been looking in medline and couldn´t find anything. Thanks in advance"
Thanks.

Hello miguel:

In research settings where people have used indwelling catheters, these are notorious bubble generators. Because of this, they produce artifact in the data; bubbles result where none would have been present in the absence of the catheter.

This has not been known to produce so many bubbles that the animal dies. however, in a human, it is always best to reduce the number of bubbles in the venous system since they can become embolizing entities. There appear to be two factors at work. The first is the presence of micronuclei on the catheter itself, and the second is the nuclei generated during the [minor] surgical process of insertion, per se.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Thanks doc, could you give me some bibliografic references?
thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom