Poor Knights Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor:
I was, the new operators are good, and it is soo nice to have someone else looking after the cooking so that all one needs to do is dive, eat, sleep and read in any gaps..
Alison
Yeah I seen you guys steam past on the Thursday. We were just off South Harbour checking out a Sun Fish

Azza:
Yeah I seen you guys steam past on the Thursday. We were just off South Harbour checking out a Sun Fish

"Checking out" - so was it there when you arrived?

The sun fish was there but it was being very ellusive.
Maybe this was it.
http://www.wadedoak.com/_disc1/00003752.htm

Went out again on Shadowfax yesterday.
What an amazing day out.
The boat was fill with 13 POB but didnt ever seemed cramped.
Gandalf, Oops I mean Martin put on a great feed for us all between dives. Lunch was Bread rolls with roast beef, salami, selection of cheeses, salad, meditaranian mix and more. Dinner was Tuna pasta and salad. Tea, coffee milo and a selection of soup was served all day long.
We dived Middle arch first. This is a great site with heaps to see including a Boar fish, morays, rays, snapper Mao mao, demisols and more.
The next 2 sites were also great (my memory isnt) but I cant recall the site names. One was between the nursery and Rikoriko cave.
The 3rd dive was done around 7pm but I didnt do it as I had a headache.

I think the highlight of the day was having Wade Doak and his wife on the boat.
This guy is a NZ dive legend and fill of infomation about the Poor Knights, the sites, the fish species and social structure and diving in general. He has aurthored many books, some of which are avaliable on his web site.
I hope he is on board next time I go up.
http://www.wadedoak.com/gateway.htm

We had a great trip out yesterday on Shadowfax as well. It really sucks having to go back to work today after diving at the Knights...

alijtaylor:
"Checking out" - so was it there when you arrived?
Or would "viewing" sound better?
We were just cruising around and seen it so we stopped to have a look. It wasnt an overly huge one...maybe a metre or so in diametre

Azza:
Or would "viewing" sound better?
I wasn't sure if you were checking out a report or actually viewing it - nice one - I have never seen one of those. And yes going back to work is tough..

Hi! Have anybody seen those Hammerhead sharks around the Poor Knights lately? When I took a trip to the islands, we saw a few on the way over. Did not see them at the Poor Knights itself though.. bugger! Even missed the orcas 2 weeks ago. I did my Rescue and was on the beach that day. Following day I went out to the Knights for the scenario dive and they were gone... So I had to rescue the instructor... ;-)
But still I think the Poor Knights are amazing, underwater that is... I think I did over 12 dives so far in this marine reserve and liked every one of them. I will be back for more!

Sorry for the late response but it's been a wee bit hectic for Poor Knights Divers at the Knights these last few weeks. The Whales appeared a few days ago, previous to that we have been overwhelmed by various things going on. The temps are up now now to 20 deg's. Today at Middle Arch two Manta's were seen. 35m viz, 20 deg water-this is NZ's Marine reserve's at their finest!!!

Due to the amount of bookings that Poor Knights Divers have recieved we are now being forced to limit the availabilty on our Amazing boat 'Shadowfax'

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank the newly formed SODS- Southern Ocean Divers Society. A club of divers who really enjoy their diving and have a boat in every port!

Back
Top Bottom